• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best resourse for deer hunting tactics

sounds good, I'll look into it.

Yea, I put a lot of time into hunting to get those 40. I suppose I consider myself an amatuer hunter because I really just sit there and wait and don't really understand why deer do what they do.
Here are common questions I ask myself
How is deer movement affected by the phases of the moon?
Am I rattling too loud or too often?
Is it too early/late in the pre rut to rattle.
Should I be hunting with scents? If so which ones for what season?
I been hunting over 40 years and have killed hundreds and I still don't know what they do,hunt don't try To perfect it and enjoy.

Library.
Several good books on whitetail behavior .

If you can develop a food plot tucked away somewhere your chances increase substantially.

Reading up is good for general fundamentals although there is no substitute for time spent in the woods.

One of my biggest mistakes in the woods to get busted is movement.
When the bucks are not rutting they will bust you with the slightest movement.
I got busted last night after pivoting my foot on my ladder platform about 1" and the deer bolted.
He was 75 yards away too.
Sometimes you tell yourself not to move or get excited but when a deer is looking dead at you trying to figure you out it's very hard not to move when your heart is pounding out of your chest from the excitement.
It will rock you back and forth... Haha.

Last edited:
Being in the woods, cumulative observance, hunting the wind has been my best resource, hunted for 35 years and my best advice is if you are not there you will not see. Deer are peculiar critters, food, cover, survival are instinctual. Last, listen and stay awake in your stand and be mobile. Have taken 250+ in last 34 yrs, lots of good bucks just by staying quiet, scentless as possible, and alert. Have a great season!

Back
Top Bottom