• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best source for big jugs (of powder)

be sure and compare prices of the WC powder including Hazmat and shipping..
American and RedEye prices include both.. Think I paid 118 from American for 8lbs of wc844 to my door this year.

What are the benefits of the larger container? I have to order online as there is no one within an hour that sells powder. I pick out what I'm looking for and load it in the cart in several places. I then just pick the cheapest. The largest I buy is 4 pound containers. I buy a few at a time and figure it will prevent contamination and waste.

What are the benefits of the larger container? I have to order online as there is no one within an hour that sells powder. I pick out what I'm looking for and load it in the cart in several places. I then just pick the cheapest. The largest I buy is 4 pound containers. I buy a few at a time and figure it will prevent contamination and waste.

Cheaper pricing, especially when paying shipping and hazmat. As long as your powder doesn't get wet or have extreme temperature shifts in storage, it's quite stable and will last a long time.

Cheaper pricing, especially when paying shipping and hazmat. As long as your powder doesn't get wet or have extreme temperature shifts in storage, it's quite stable and will last a long time.

Yes, store it properly (which isn't that hard) it stays good for a long time. I've got old powder from 30 years ago that still works just fine.
Good to know. Thank yall

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but you need to study up on how much powder you can carry in a private automobile, and especially how much powder you can store in your home, and how it must be stored.

The home thing gets tricky because your homeowner's insurance policy will incorporate the local fire code, which is where the specific regulations are. Some loading manuals have this information as an insert. If you violate the fire code, the insurance company can deny a claim. You should read your HO policy carefully, because there is probably no express reference to this matter.

On a happier note, every clay target club I know of will take orders for powder when it orders clay targets, no freight, no haz mat. Also, Gamaliel sends a truck to 2 or 3 big sporting clays shoots every year, and they will take orders for powder and other reloading supplies and put them on the truck, no freight, no haz mat. I know some clay target shooters who will buy the biggest jug available, and divide it up among themselves. Cuts down on how much they have to come off the hip at one time.

Wise call out gh, I'll quietly check. My guess is even though there may not be specific language in my homeowners policy there are very likely county regulations in play here. I'll double check.

Wise call out gh, I'll quietly check. My guess is even though there may not be specific language in my homeowners policy there are very likely county regulations in play here. I'll double check.

Most counties incorporate a national fire code by reference.

The thing to do is contact your county fire dept. or manager if there is no FD, and ask what code they use and where can you get a copy. Then get a copy and read it yourself. The part on gunpowder is pretty much plain language.

What you don't want to do is be call the the FD and asking "do I have too much gun powder in my basement".

Back
Top Bottom