• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Survial Knife (A Must Have!)

I've had my USAF Survival Knife for twenty years now. It has a carbon steel blade that's parkerized, a saw on the back, a pommel designed for beating, a stacked leather washer handle that doesn't slip, a heavy duty leather sheath and a sharpening stone.

Longevity speaks volumes.

Here's a picture of it with a S&W Model 12. The knife has been through a lot more than the pistol. ;)

i600.photobucket.com_albums_tt86_Wheeler686_S_20and_20W_378345_4477598306982_2105701863_n.jpg

I still have the one that was on my flight vest when I was a miltary pilot. There are others that are good, but that old knife is still king.

I'm quite a fan of my Cutco Hunter (Double-D serrated version).

It's very light, and very durable. I like K-bars, but in an actual survival scenario, equipment weight is too critical. The Cutco weighs 6.2 less ounces.

5-3/8" blade
440A High-Carbon, Stainless Steel
4.2 oz

Attachments

• 1769.jpg
    1769.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 285

It's very light, and very durable. I like K-bars, but in an actual survival scenario, equipment weight is too critical. The Cutco weighs 6.2 less ounces.

5-3/8" blade
4.2 oz

Man that's nice, very clean.

5-3/8" blade
4.2 oz

That sort of depends on the survival situation. Can you split wood with that knife? Use it as a pry-bar or a makeshift machete? I'll take a little extra weight for a knife that will hold up to all the abuse it's going to be put through if one really is in a survival situation. It's more than just a cutting tool.

I'm not knocking your knife or your choice. I expect a lot more out of mine than just to be able to cut something with it.

That sort of depends on the survival situation. Can you split wood with that knife? Use it as a pry-bar or a makeshift machete? I'll take a little extra weight for a knife that will hold up to all the abuse it's going to be put through if one really is in a survival situation. It's more than just a cutting tool.

I'm not knocking your knife or your choice. I expect a lot more out of mine than just to be able to cut something with it.

Your point is certainly understood. This knife's blade offers more tensile strength than you would first assume by looking at it. I received it as a gift, and was initially disappointed, expecting the thin blade to feel flimsy and would buckle under pressure ('Cutco, the kitchen knife brand?'). After pressing it up against something, and seeing how much force it was capable of sustaining, I haven't looked back. These aren't just stamped pieces of 440a. They are heat treated, cryogenically frozen, and then tempered. It is more than capable of splitting wood in a survival situation, albeit not as effectively as something with a wider blade. My cheap Cold Steel Spesnatz style shovel excels at these kind of tasks. However, at 26+ ounces, I only bring it along for shorter treks. After a few extended backpacking trips, I've became significantly more focused on equipment weight.

Back
Top Bottom