• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Survival Knife

I always carry a low cost folder (Kershaw) and the BOB features a modified Leatherman Crunch, with Silky saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the Crunch. If it's a serious threat incident, I'll add the Cold Steel shovel. One side is convex-sharpened, for use as a chopper, the other side is sharpened as a slicer. This combo is far, far more capable than any axe, saw, machete/belt knife combo, while being much lighter and more compact. If you know what you're doing, you dont need to cut nearly as much wood as nearly everyone "thinks" that they do. You want to break firewood if you can, it's much less effort than chopping or sawing. You dont want to have to haul it, either. Set up your shelter where the squaw wood is. If you do have to cut wood, use the Siberian fire lay or the self-feeding Dakota firepit, so that you dont have to cut wood to length. use your brain so that you dont have to use your arse so much.

Remember, any fixed blade knife , is just a knife. The only ones I bother to own are an Old Hickory butcher knife and paring knife and they never leave our kitchen. A belt knife. can't turn screws, cut big wood like a saw, or pry much of anything. It can't be a file, or grab and pull anything, it isn't even much good for making spoons or bowls. A modified multitool can do all those things, AND do what the belt knife does (or the E tool can) You baton a knife at the risk of breaking it. If it's big enough to withstand being batoned, it's not worth much for filleting fish, skinning, or doing fine whittling on trap triggers, etc. I make wooden wedges for splitting wood, cause it's just not worth the risk of damaging my tools.

8A7528F9-5EBD-45BA-AD27-D46949BDF90E.jpeg
8DEE9BAD-B61B-4616-AC51-9E22A6A4EE52.jpeg
I also got a Glock FM-81 field knife a few months ago.

The blade is shorter than I'd prefer (it's 6.5" and I think 8.5" would be best), but it's thick.
5 mm or 0.20" thick.
Rockwell "C" scale hardness of 55. Seems tough to me. Mine's been abused by being used as s throwing knife. So far, no real damage. Just minor scratches.
The saw back is very effective at sawing wood or bamboo. The only problem with using it is the very short range of motion;
you can only move the knife a few inches before you're at the end of your stroke .

I do not see how the serrations on the spine of the blade would interfere with batoning this knife through a larger piece of firewood to split it.
-----------------

Another "survival knife" contender is this Magellan brand big bowie knife. Its blade is 4mm thick (5/32") at the spine. It can fill the role of a machete.

Back
Top Bottom