• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Survival/Self Defense Handgun Ammo!

armistead1979

Default rank <2500 posts
Mr. Armistead
100   0
Reaction score
After doing some research and reading several articles I found what I think and also firearm experts think is the best Survival/Self Defense Handgun Ammo. Here they are:

.38 Special: 158-grain, all-lead hollowpoint by Federal, Remington and Winchester; Speer 135-grain Gold Dot.

9mm: Winchester 127-grain +P +SXT; Speer 124-grain Gold Dot +P; Federal 124- and 147-grain +P HST.

.40 S&W: Speer 165- and 180-grain Gold Dot; Federal 165- and 180-grain HST; Winchester 165- and 180-grain SXT.

.357 SIG: Speer 125-grain Gold Dot; Federal 125-grain HST.

.45 ACP: Federal 230-grain Hydra-Shok and 230-grain HST; Speer 200- and 230-grain Gold Dot.

(I give all credit for research to American Handgunner, they really know their stuff!)

Any better ideas on handgun loads???

and you know that all those company's give them ammo to shoot . so they plug there product. when you have a good product you dont need to push it on ppl . just saying

For the compromise application(s) you refer to those aren't bad choices per caliber.

My choices for overall "general purpose" use consists of two types of rounds.... one light to medium (for the caliber) weight for anti-personnel
use & a heavier weight H.P or even solid FMJ or hardcast round w/ a flat meplat for deeper penetration through cover, against animals, etc.

I will say that I at least feel more confident that modern bonded hollowpoints will at least retain their weight & integrity as that is what they were designed to do after defeating intermediate barriers per FBI protocols... even if they are not the "best" round for the job where more penetration is preferred.

Last edited:
I like that zombie max stuff...:p

i just call it critical defense regardless of packaging, when i buy z-max it is because the stores run out of critical defense and have a mountain of z-max ammo for a few $$ less(same type of ammo different color tip)

for a survival/shtf ammo i have critical duty 9mm barrier penetration might be needed, for edc self-defense ammo i use 9mm fiocchi xtp.

as for 45 critical defense, it works in every 45 i owned including the cheap ria 1911s

Last edited:
I am no expert but have recently run some tests on my 9mm at the range using Speer gold dot +p 124/147 bonded and Winchester Ranger bonded 147. The Ranger 147 had the best accuracy of the 3 for me and the gun loved it. Recoil was very nice too. I am going to try some of the other Ranger line when I can find it in stock as well.

Back
Top Bottom