• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beware: Georgia man selling stolen guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some jack leg from Tenn. wanting to by a shotgun, with no mention of an FFL.
That ain't happening.
To make it worse than that he wanted me to drive 100 miles, half way, for a $140.00 shotgun, and commit a felony. DJD
I'm glad you didn't, Banjo. You're too pretty for prison.

I had some jack leg from Tenn. wanting to by a shotgun, with no mention of an FFL.
That ain't happening.
To make it worse than that he wanted me to drive 100 miles, half way, for a $140.00 shotgun, and commit a felony. DJD
The GCA of 1968 allows for the sale of long guns between adjoining states without the need for an FFL transfer.

EDIT; Seems I got my facts confused a bit here. See my comment below.

The GCA of 1968 allows for the sale of long guns between adjoining states without the need for an FFL transfer.
AAANNNNKKKKKK....Wrong.

An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

The 'adjoining state' canard was often quoted during the 1990's post Clinton Ban era by show goers as the 'legal requirement' for acquiring firearms out of state. I have searched for years in the code and never once found any reference to an exception for long guns in contiguous or adjoining states.

AAANNNNKKKKKK....Wrong.

An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

The 'adjoining state' canard was often quoted during the 1990's post Clinton Ban era by show goers as the 'legal requirement' for acquiring firearms out of state. I have searched for years in the code and never once found any reference to an exception for long guns in contiguous or adjoining states.
OOOOH kay, I did a little digging and I was, for the most part, wrong. Many many years ago, I was an FFL dealer (1980's) and an FFL CAN sell a long gun to a resident of an adjoining state without transfer through an FFL in the buyer's home state. That provision does not, however, apply to firearms transfers between unlicensed individuals.

Ya learn sump'n new ever-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom