• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big backyard project

That is some great looking work.
If you don't mind me aaking... How much was the gabian wall? I've been looking for a way to terrace my back yard.

That is some great looking work.
If you don't mind me aaking... How much was the gabian wall? I've been looking for a way to terrace my back yard.

Compared to the cost of the entire project. The expensive part of the baskets was time honestly. They come precut and halfway put together, but building them out into a box shape, supporting the sides of each one so they don't budge out, and then lacing them all together was almost 25% of the labor on the project.

For approximately 200 ft of wall averaging a height of about 9 ft, the galvanized steel baskets alone cost me approximately $10K.

Looks good. How does it look now and how easy/hard is the upkeep?

For the wall itself ... 3 years later itself looks great and is pretty much the same as the day it was finished. The lifetime of the baskets is 50 - 75 years so I will be long gone by then.

The upkeep of the plantings, grass, etc is just general yard upkeep. One simple thing I'm really proud of my self for thinking off - I put a gate in the fence the top of the wall that doesn't go anywhere, but simply allows me to open it up and blow leaves down to the creek. Saves me an hour of labor every time I blow the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom