• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big bore cartridges and reloading

thumb44

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
28   0
Reaction score
Can anyone give some advice about reloading against buying ammo off the shelf for big bore cartridges such as .458 Lott or Winchester? Is it more economical to get in to it if you’re not already set up? Are the components available? This is for practice purposes before a hunt.

It all depends on how much you shoot.
if you just want to load a few rounds for hunting, it’s not economical unless the ammo you seek is hard to come by.
If you are like most folks that load, shoot every week - several hundred at a time, then yes it is economically viable.
I was raised shooting every week and loading with DAD. I buy a few rounds that I can’t or don’t load but I load almost everything I shoot. I cast most all my own projectiles as well.

Depends on what you're trying to do. If it's for dangerous game hunting, you want factory ammo. If it's just target shooting, reload. The 458 WIN and LOTT ain't for the meek. If you're using a scope, use reloads sighting it in. Just before you go on the hunt, shoot a few factory loads to fine tune it. You won't shoot more than 20rds per session with those cartridges. Use a slow burning powder if you can. That'll help with recoil. I know that you can't with the 458 Win, not enough room in the case. Get a top notch scope for that rifle so it'll keep zero. I wouldn't trust a cheap scope with that recoil. As far as cost, you'll have to run the numbers. But I can promise you you're shoulder will thank you on those range days. You'll have to figure out what powder works best for you. And use a lighter bullet on those range days. You could use reloads on smaller less dangerous game.

At $5 per round minimum on the low end for factory ammo, you should be able to recoup your equipment cost fairly quickly if you buy a single stage setup used. The first 50 rounds you load will probably pay for the whole setup.

My dad and cousins went to Africa a few times from 1995-2007. They shot everything, 375 H&H, 416.rigby, 458 Lott, 470 NE. My dad loved the 458 Lott. I would go with them to practice before they went over there and they would always practice with handloads. Like someone else said, you don’t want to be trusting handloads in dangerous game situations. I think a box of the solid 470s was near $350 for 20 rounds last I looked. It’s premium stuff.

In recent years component availability has been very challenging here in the states. US companies don't want to do change over for low volume slow moving product. Before you do anything listed below you should have a few range sessions with full power factory loads. A few range sessions will teach you just how much you will realistically be willing to shoot your gun. You do need to practice. A few rounds here and there? You want to piss off a PH? Tell him this " it's my first big caliber DG gun, but I'm good. I shot 20 rounds thorough it since I bought it."
Do this and I promise your PH will be putting at least one round in whatever you shoot from that point on.

1. There is no such thing as "OVER GUNNED" when hunting dangerous game of any size.
2. Don't skimp on dies. Whidden can make a set of dies to match your guns chamber. info@whiddengunworks.com
3. You will need this die but you just don't know it yet. Reloading Technologies. Web sight here. https://www.larrywillis.com/
4. Don't hesitate to buy a lifetime supply of bullets and brass once you developed the load you like. You don't want to be searching or changing later because you can't your bullet, primer and brass combo.
5. Always use Magnum Large Rifle Primers.
6. Find a non-temperature sensitive powder that shoots good.
7. Don't over thing accuracy!!! You'll likely be shooting a large animal at close minimal distances. If you are shooting 1.5" at 50 to 75 yards you good to go!
8. Keep your gun clean!!
9. Always use quality components and do your research, use the right dies and proper crimp, Remember, the majority of DG rounds headspace on the Belt. Done properly you do not have to fear using reloads.
10. Buy a bullet mold and practice with cast bullets. This is your biggest price savings. Don't practice with full loads.
11. KNOW THY LIMITS!!!! STOP WHEN IT HURTS AND LONG BEFORE YOU START TO ANTICIPATE THE SHOT BREAKS!!

Do all of this and you will be successful. If you shoot factory be sure to buy at least 200 rounds minimum of the same lot. Fine tuning, and hunts, where you will also fire several zero conformation shots, some times more than once if you have to re-zero.

Above all, be safe and enjoy the thrills of your endeavors.

Back
Top Bottom