• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Binocular recommendation

jimireece

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
15   0
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding binoculars to my bow hunting setup. I'm curious what other folks are using. I hunt North GA Mtns and west GA hardwoods.

Post your preferred resolution or brand. Thanks

For bow hunting I wouldn't think you'd want a large set. Like 10x20 would probably do. Maybe a monocular with a range finder? Brands Leupold, Leica, Steiner, Swarovski, Zeiss ect

I use 10-42 Swarovski—— spend once cry once
I would recommend the 8-42 if you mostly wood hunting

If you want to spend 2K I would absolutely go with Leica. If not, then Steiner is a great second choice for half the cost or less.

I've used my 42 x pair glassing on many a day for long periods of off and on use throughout the day. I bought my pair several years ago and I settled on a high end pair of Pantex Binos. I suspect everyone eyes are different and as such each persons experience the outcome will be different. I would have liked to have had the Leica's but the $2600 price tag was out of my range.

The quality of the glass will effect the outcome. To surmise the sentiment here. But the best quality pair you can afford. Like all optics, the magic is in the quality and coatings of the glass. Buy what you can afford and learn to adjust them properly.

I shied away from 50X after reading up the effects/causing eye strain. If you want higher power then think strongly about a separate spotting scope for glassing. If you go hunt Western Government Goats you will want both if hunting flat grass lands or rolling landscape.

I've used my 42 x pair glassing on many a day for long periods of off and on use throughout the day. I bought my pair several years ago and I settled on a high end pair of Pantex Binos. I suspect everyone eyes are different and as such each persons experience the outcome will be different. I would have liked to have had the Leica's but the $2600 price tag was out of my range.

The quality of the glass will effect the outcome. To surmise the sentiment here. But the best quality pair you can afford. Like all optics, the magic is in the quality and coatings of the glass. Buy what you can afford and learn to adjust them properly.

I shied away from 50X after reading up the effects/causing eye strain. If you want higher power then think strongly about a separate spotting scope for glassing. If you go hunt Western Government Goats you will want both if hunting flat grass lands or rolling landscape.
I would have liked the Leica as well but I have two pair of Steiner, one compact 8x32 and one full size 10x42 and both are damn nice and still have less than the cost of the Leica. I looked through a friends Leica and they are amazing but I don't use them enough to warrant that kind of money and the Steiner are a damn good second place to my eye.

Back
Top Bottom