• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black panthers (4 legged variety)

There is no such thing as a black panther, never has one been shot or photographed. End of discussion. Also anyone that says they seen one without a doubt I will boldly ask them if there high cause thats the only excuse they would have to see one.

Not sure what your problem is, but what do you think it is I saw? If you come up with some BS about a dark grey panther you will be kicked in the e-peen. I'm not weird cat guy expert, I just know what I saw appeared to be a large, very dark, feline. The defining factor was the large (both in diameter and length) tail.

Do you have any other explanation for what I saw? I sure would like one that made more sense than a black panther in middle GA.

Not sure what your problem is, but what do you think it is I saw? If you come up with some BS about a dark grey panther you will be kicked in the e-peen. I'm not weird cat guy expert, I just know what I saw appeared to be a large, very dark, feline. The defining factor was the large (both in diameter and length) tail.

Do you have any other explanation for what I saw? I sure would like one that made more sense than a black panther in middle GA.

I have no explanation for what you saw, except misidentification. If I am not mistaken there are more reports of black panthers than regular panthers. That being said there has never been a black panther ever documented. According to Florida DNR there are only 163 in the whole state. If you look at the facts it dosent add up. Also the reason Ga DNR says they dont exist in Ga, I am talking about any panthers not black. Is because there is no viable population. Also you cant shoot it because it is a endangered species protected federally. I would think you may have saw a jaguarundi, dog, escaped mellanistic jaguar or leopard. Considering these animals actually exist and are a more viable answer to what you may have seen. Also I apologize for being so rude in my previous posting. If your 100% sure you saw I would be letting DNR know, finding tracks and setting up a trail cam.

I have no explanation for what you saw, except misidentification. If I am not mistaken there are more reports of black panthers than regular panthers. That being said there has never been a black panther ever documented. According to Florida DNR there are only 163 in the whole state. If you look at the facts it dosent add up. Also the reason Ga DNR says they dont exist in Ga, I am talking about any panthers not black. Is because there is no viable population. Also you cant shoot it because it is a endangered species protected federally. I would think you may have saw a jaguarundi, dog, escaped mellanistic jaguar or leopard. Considering these animals actually exist and are a more viable answer to what you may have seen. Also I apologize for being so rude in my previous posting. If your 100% sure you saw I would be letting DNR know, finding tracks and setting up a trail cam.

Fair enough. I'm always the first one to pimp the saying "believe half of what you say and none of what you read", so I'm not discounting misidentification. But I also am a firm believer in Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is most likely true. I have excellent eye sight, I was looking directly at the area of the road where the creature crossed, it was daylight, I am not prone to hallucinations that I know of, I am very certain that it was a large, very dark feline with a curved tail the appoximate length of the body and the tail thick with the same black coloring as the coat.

I did try to let the WMA officials know, but nobody was at the Oaky Woods office both times I drove by. I can send them an email but who knows what they will do with it, probably throw it in a pile with all the other cranks talking about big foot sightings while riding in UFOs.

Last edited:
This was on my brother's game camera in North Louisiana on 9/13/2012. What is it?

panther9.jpg

I have never personally seen a panther of any color. I know someone who saw a normal tan colored one on the property I hunted last year and I'm pretty sure I heard one late one evening sitting in my stand. My uncle told me he saw one on our property that I'm hunting this year three times earlier this year. I considered hanging some meat in front of a trail cam to see if I could get pics of one, but I figured the bobcats and coyotes would get to it before a panther.

I have to ask how you confirm something with zero evidence and the supposed species might as well be studied by cryptozoologist, it does not exist there has never been a confirmed Black Mountain Lion!

I have seen (twice) A large dark feline with long tail cross road in front of me. I live out in the boonies Floyd/Bartow near Barnsley Gardens. The cat i've seen is not black but a dark brown. DNR reports they don't exist in Ga.??? I
know the difference between animals and I don't drink.

Back
Top Bottom