• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Books discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have a book or two going and if you like historical fiction I would highly recommend Conn Iggulden 's series on Julius Caesar or Genghis Khan. Bernard Cornwell is also one of my favorite authors and his Sharpe's series is hard to beat.

Reactions: MRH
Quotefancy-252872-3840x2160.jpg

Words to live by.

I always have a book or two going and if you like historical fiction I would highly recommend Conn Iggulden 's series on Julius Caesar or Genghis Khan. Bernard Cornwell is also one of my favorite authors and his Sharpe's series is hard to beat.

+1 on Bernard Cornwell. If you'd like to try the nautical version, I'd recommend the Aubrey/Maturin series ("Master and Commander") by Patrick O'Brien. Part adventure story, part owner's manual for a 19th century ship of the line.

Always up for any book discussion.

"Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien" I'll give that a try. I do enjoy a nautical yarn from time to time and am always amazed at the courage and resilience of the sailors of old. Thanks for the suggestion.

"Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien" I'll give that a try. I do enjoy a nautical yarn from time to time and am always amazed at the courage and resilience of the sailors of old. Thanks for the suggestion.

I never read it but the movie was good. I would imagine the book is better.

I hope I'd be a participant in a good book discussion, depending on the book and the time I have available.

Couple of books that I've read recently:

Sea of Gray, by Tom Chaffin. Story of the confederate raider Shenandoah, which was burning and sinking Yankee whaling vessels in the arctic sea after the war was over. Fascinating book.

Speaking of the Civil War, Jack Hinson's One-Man War, by Tom C. McKenney. Story of a guy who gruesomely lost his kids to Yankee soldiers and took matters into his own hands. Another fascinating story.

These days, I usually need more of a distraction when I read. Pat McManus or PG Wodehouse, anyone?

Reactions: MRH
Right now I am reading "On Killing" by Lt Col Dave Grossman. Very well researched and thought out, so far. It is interesting, that's for sure.

I enjoy reading very much . I agree the printed word should continue. I've read The Bible,Shooter's Bible, Gun Digest, Reader's Digest,Zane Gray, Elmer Keith,
Capstick,H.G. Wells, Verne, Jack O'Connor, Robert Ruark, Mark Twain
L'amour,King ,Clancy ,Thor and many , many, many more. I've read and try to encourage both my children and grandchildren to read because reading books
can help you enjoy life . I would definitely be interested in following a book discussion .

Has anyone read "The Filthy Thirteen"? Just an awesome WW2 book, and definitely one of my first recommendations when asked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom