• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bought truck from dealership and no emissions?

seanc770

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
72   0
Reaction score
Need some help on this one, i bought a used 2016 truck from Athens Subaru. They charged me for tags, and said my tag would be mailed to me. 50 days later, no tag. So i called many times and and finally got the financial person. She told me oops sorry but we applied for title only, go get your tag. She was not nice, so i said bs, you get my tag. She sent someone to get the tag after much arguing. Then called me and said it was my fault because i didn't get my emissions done. I was never informed of this, and i believe there is a ga law that requires any car sold on a lot must have a current emissions. Mind you athens clark co is a non emission county, but i heard this doesn't matter because it is a state law. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. Thank you

I’m a former used car dealer. The dealer is required to ensure the vehicle sold has passed emissions if the customer lives in an emissions county. They can get fined pretty heavily for not providing this for you.

If you buy a vehicle outside the 13 county area, the seller is NOT required to have an emission inspection done. Buyer has 30 days to get it done.
Also many dealers now are not taking care of the tags. Only titles. Once the title has been registered with the state, you can go to your county office and get your tag.
Happened to me on a new car I bought last September.

Copied from Georgia's Clean Air Force webpage:
If you buy a used vehicle that will be registered in a covered county,* sellers located within the 13-county testing area must ensure the vehicle has a passing Georgia vehicle emissions inspection at the time of sale. A Georgia Vehicle Emission Inspection Report (VIR) can be used for the initial registration and one registration renewal if still valid.

*Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale.

Sellers are not required to provide the buyer with a hard copy of the VIR. The VIR will be on record electronically at the tag office. Buyers can view a summary of the VIR online.

To file a complaint against a seller (located within the 13-county testing area) for failing to have a passing emissions test at the time of sale, go to the Forms and Applications section and complete the Used Vehicle Sale Complaint Form.

If you purchased a vehicle that received a failed emissions test, significant costs may be incurred to correct the cause of the failure or to qualify for a waiver.

Within 12 months, a vehicle may be sold numerous times using the same valid VIR.

What if I purchased a vehicle from out of the area?
If you are registering your vehicle for the first time in a covered county,* please contact your county tag office for the registration requirements.

*Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Henry, Paulding and Rockdale.

Need some help on this one, i bought a used 2016 truck from Athens Subaru. They charged me for tags, and said my tag would be mailed to me. 50 days later, no tag. So i called many times and and finally got the financial person. She told me oops sorry but we applied for title only, go get your tag. She was not nice, so i said bs, you get my tag. She sent someone to get the tag after much arguing. Then called me and said it was my fault because i didn't get my emissions done. I was never informed of this, and i believe there is a ga law that requires any car sold on a lot must have a current emissions. Mind you athens clark co is a non emission county, but i heard this doesn't matter because it is a state law. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please. Thank you

Currently:

What if I am buying a used vehicle?
If you buy a used vehicle that will be registered in a covered county,* sellers located within the 13-county testing area must ensure the vehicle has a passing Georgia vehicle emissions inspection at the time of sale. A Georgia Vehicle Emission Inspection Report (VIR) can be used for the initial registration and one registration renewal if still valid.

Sellers are not required to provide the buyer with a hard copy of the VIR. The VIR will be on record electronically at the tag office. Buyers can view a summary of the VIR online.

To file a complaint against a seller (located within the 13-county testing area) for failing to have a passing emissions test at the time of sale, go to the Forms and Applications section and complete the Used Vehicle Sale Complaint Form.

If you purchased a vehicle that received a failed emissions test, significant costs may be incurred to correct the cause of the failure or to qualify for a waiver.

Within 12 months, a vehicle may be sold numerous times using the same valid VIR.

What if I purchased a vehicle from out of the area?
If you are registering your vehicle for the first time in a covered county,* please contact your county tag office for the registration requirements.

From the link above.

I’m a former used car dealer. The dealer is required to ensure the vehicle sold has passed emissions if the customer lives in an emissions county. They can get fined pretty heavily for not providing this for you.

Not the entire state, just the "testing" counties.

I helped my son buy a pickup in Winder, he lives in Gwinnett, fly-by-night dealer had a faked "passed" emissions cert. Week after he bought it "as is" truck started throwing codes, wouldn't pass emissions, we took it to the exact same testing center where it passed 2 weeks earlier. The one and only time I have been truly and completely screwed on a vehicle purchase. Ended up replacing the engine for another 6 grand. It was a nightmare, and I get sick whenever I think about it.

Why not Just take it and have it tested and be done with it

Place near me charges $20

Back
Top Bottom