• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

bowling pin shoot

When I shot a .40 S&W (Walther P99) at bowling pins, I always used 180 grain loads.
I wasn't impressed with the pin-kicking abilities of that gun.
The Colt Officer's Model I used the next week did a great job, with 240 grain FMJ or RNL.

You can't get the velocity with a .40 to generate the necessary energy.

I tried a .40, but it just didn't compare to the 10mm or the .357.

I've sent bowling pins flying cleanly with .357SIG 125grn Gold Dots. Won an LE bowling pin match using that load from a SIG P229.

When I shot pins regularly, I used a 1911 .45ACP and a handload topped with Speer's 200grn "flying ashtray".
Never shot pins with my 357 Sig, but would not hesitate to try

Since there's no sanctioning body and thus no standardized rules, there's no consistency in what the various ranges do. Bullseye used to use a metal table, with pins in the middle. No problems with splinters hanging up the fallen pins. Plywood tables are much harder to clear, especially late in the match with splinters and jagged plastic. And then some places put the pins on the back edge of the table, to make it easy. May as well shoot a .22 at those; it's cheaper. Then there's John's Creek, that (when I went last) was putting the pins at the front for a .45, middle for 9s, and at the back for .22s, then scoring everyone the same. May as well use a .22, since you're being penalized for shooting the bigger calibers. I haven't been there in over a year though. Big crowds, too many yahoos handling guns behind the line, no prizes, and messed up rules.

Bullseye shoots the plastic cubes, so you lose the "fun" of chasing a fallen pin. But... no ricochets, and you'll get 10-12 runs at the table. Best value around, if you like to shoot, and you get enough iterations to tweak your technique and see the results right then. Lately the crowds have been thin, so we could use some more folks. I'm usually there. I shoot low to mid 3s with my .44 magnum (though it took a lot of practice to get there), and mid-twos with my 9mm. High threes with a 1911. The best guys there are in the high 1s, if they're having a good night.

If y'all like feedback on targets, you may wanna look at the Steel Challenge matches at Griffin Gun Range (and maybe other ranges). When I was shooting them, I'd pay for 3 entries and shoot semi-auto, centerfire revolver, and .22.

You have a good point there, cmshoot-- if you miss at any of these pin-type matches, you get no feedback as to what you did wrong. But I tell novice shooters that see us shooting-- when you can consistently hit a 5" square on paper at 7 yards, you're ready to try the "pins". We can often see where folks are hitting-- plywood, backstop, etc.-- but I know it's frustrating to be banging away and hitting nothing. If you're struggling to keep 'em in the A-zone at 7 yards, you should probably save your entrance fee until your skill improves, and keep working that paper.

I think it's great pistol practice-- some decent accuracy needed, but time pressure and an audience to increase stress a bit. Since where I shoot does the same thing every week, I have worked my way through my guns, learning in great detail what I shoot well-- and what I do not. I keep records. Also I have dramatically improved my consistency in technique. Plus it's a great bunch of folks and generally a lot of fun.

We could use some more shooters. Bullseye, Wed at 7 PM to 9 PM, though we usually get done sooner if it's a small group. $14, and you'll get 10-12 runs at the table. Ten cartridges maximum, handgun calibers only. .22s work fine. If anyone reading this has questions, ask away.

I'm always a little curious at folks that won't shoot a competition because there's no prize table. To me, shooting well has always been it's own reward.

This is the type of thinking that has ruined PRS matches, and one of the reasons I always liked SASS.

When I shot comps, I was always there with one or more friends, so it was mostly smack talking and braggin' rights within our group. That made it all worthwhile.

You have a good point there, cmshoot-- if you miss at any of these pin-type matches, you get no feedback as to what you did wrong. But I tell novice shooters that see us shooting-- when you can consistently hit a 5" square on paper at 7 yards, you're ready to try the "pins". We can often see where folks are hitting-- plywood, backstop, etc.-- but I know it's frustrating to be banging away and hitting nothing. If you're struggling to keep 'em in the A-zone at 7 yards, you should probably save your entrance fee until your skill improves, and keep working that paper.

I think it's great pistol practice-- some decent accuracy needed, but time pressure and an audience to increase stress a bit. Since where I shoot does the same thing every week, I have worked my way through my guns, learning in great detail what I shoot well-- and what I do not. I keep records. Also I have dramatically improved my consistency in technique. Plus it's a great bunch of folks and generally a lot of fun.

We could use some more shooters. Bullseye, Wed at 7 PM to 9 PM, though we usually get done sooner if it's a small group. $14, and you'll get 10-12 runs at the table. Ten cartridges maximum, handgun calibers only. .22s work fine. If anyone reading this has questions, ask away.

I shot pins for while before a "pro" told me about the little diamonds. There is a trademark/figure on each pin that is the "sweet spot" or what we would call "center of mass". If focus and aim for that, and hit, you can clean the pin. other hits, not so much.

We noticed a lot of people shoot too low at the big part of the pin, but that just makes the pin fall forward (kicking the feet out from under it).

I'm always a little curious at folks that won't shoot a competition because there's no prize table. To me, shooting well has always been it's own reward.

This is the type of thinking that has ruined PRS matches, and one of the reasons I always liked SASS.

When I shot comps, I was always there with one or more friends, so it was mostly smack talking and braggin' rights within our group. That made it all worthwhile.

What's a "prize table"?

: )

Seriously though-- I compete because it's fun and hones my skills. Same as you it sounds like. If I pick up some swag, that's merely a bonus.

But yeah, bragging rights. Did I mention I cleared the table the other week with a .44 mag revolver in 3.11? That's its own prize for sure.

(Yeah, OK-- I'm not using full-house loads. Well over .44 special limits, but light for .44 mag. About 205 PF. Still respectable I think!)

I always liked Ayoob's philosophy on "competition"-- make every shooting outing with friends one. Loser buys dinner, beer, one round of drinks, whatever. The pressure will make you focus, and not just pitch lead downrange. Or so goes the theory. My friends shoot so poorly as to not go for this, but I like the concept.

I shot pins for while before a "pro" told me about the little diamonds. There is a trademark/figure on each pin that is the "sweet spot" or what we would call "center of mass". If focus and aim for that, and hit, you can clean the pin. other hits, not so much.

We noticed a lot of people shoot too low at the big part of the pin, but that just makes the pin fall forward (kicking the feet out from under it).

Yup. Since most people jerk low especially when they're in a hurry-- aim near the top of the body basically right under the neck. If you jerk low, you still hit and hopefully still high enough to kick it off the table.

What fun.

I've always liked the ones that come late and check to see who's signed up to shoot. If they don't think they can win, won't compete!

Back
Top Bottom