• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

bowling pin shoot

Yes. We also occasionally shoot skeet or 5-Stand on Shotgun Hill.

Although I enjoy informal competition among friends, I mostly shoot to keep in practice for hunting.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk
As soon as I get a decent shotgun I will probably start going from time to time. What's you advice on a semi budget shotgun just for limited clay time. I had a Beretta over and under and sold it only because a guy offered me 500 more than I paid for it. Another kick myself in the teeth moment. It was beautiful and balanced like a fine throwing knife. What would you recommend for a semi budget shotgun just for very limited use.

I'm a Beretta fan, and if you can find a used 390-3919 (or one of that series) go with that.

But I have to admit for the casual user who doesn't want to spend a lot of money a used Remington 1100 is a good deal and a lot more common.

As soon as I get a decent shotgun I will probably start going from time to time. What's you advice on a semi budget shotgun just for limited clay time. I had a Beretta over and under and sold it only because a guy offered me 500 more than I paid for it. Another kick myself in the teeth moment. It was beautiful and balanced like a fine throwing knife. What would you recommend for a semi budget shotgun just for very limited use.
Well, like gh1950 recommended, a good 1100 is hard to beat, but these days they are sorta pricey. If you want a decent new semi-auto, I'd look at a TriStar Viper G2. Made in Turkey, but get great reviews. Based on a Beretta design IIRC.

For an over/under, run by Academy and take a look at the Yildiz. Also made in Turkey, but a lot of bang for the buck. Only imported by Academy, but Briley Chokes (Texas) handles their warranty work. The walnut grain is typically outstanding on them.

I will have to give all those a look. I know about the Remy a little I use to have a 870 wingmaster when I was in high school. Beautiful guns back then. I loved that shotgun. Took down a many a quail with that gun.

Sigh. Well, I tied my best time of 3.11-- exactly-- with my .44. : (

Only six folks tonight, and all regulars. Got in 13 runs, and out by 8:40. One guy got in a 1.46, but only that one blisteringly perfect run.

No offense meant about the John's Creek shoot. Just not my favorite. And to be fair, I haven't been there in over a year.

Sigh. Well, I tied my best time of 3.11-- exactly-- with my .44. : (

Only six folks tonight, and all regulars. Got in 13 runs, and out by 8:40. One guy got in a 1.46, but only that one blisteringly perfect run.

No offense meant about the John's Creek shoot. Just not my favorite. And to be fair, I haven't been there in over a year.
What kind of .44 are you shooting? 4" 629?

Well, like gh1950 recommended, a good 1100 is hard to beat, but these days they are sorta pricey. If you want a decent new semi-auto, I'd look at a TriStar Viper G2. Made in Turkey, but get great reviews. Based on a Beretta design IIRC.

For an over/under, run by Academy and take a look at the Yildiz. Also made in Turkey, but a lot of bang for the buck. Only imported by Academy, but Briley Chokes (Texas) handles their warranty work. The walnut grain is typically outstanding on them.

For semi-auto shotguns, I'll throw in STOEGER, specifically the 3000 or M3K, not the older models though the 3500 is also fine. Also made in Turkey, a licensed Benelli clone. I use one for 3-gun, and it's rock solid. Also, since it's inertia operated, no annoying cleaning like an 1100. The second time I cleaned an 1100, I bought the Stoeger. 100% reliable so far, knock on wood, even with 11 shells in it. I am not familiar with the TriStar.

What kind of .44 are you shooting? 4" 629?

6" M-29 from 1978. Or maybe it's 6.5"; they changed somewhere along in there. Smooth as silk trigger.

I need to buy another one, to give this poor old antique a rest-- I've put 700 through it since October, but mainly "light" loads, 240 gr. around 950 fps.

I think the long barrel is the key, along with the smooooth trigger. I've never tried a 4".

For semi-auto shotguns, I'll throw in STOEGER, specifically the 3000 or M3K, not the older models though the 3500 is also fine. Also made in Turkey, a licensed Benelli clone. I use one for 3-gun, and it's rock solid. Also, since it's inertia operated, no annoying cleaning like an 1100. The second time I cleaned an 1100, I bought the Stoeger. 100% reliable so far, knock on wood, even with 11 shells in it. I am not familiar with the TriStar.
I'm only familiar with the TriStar because I've been looking for a 28ga gas-operated semiauto, and they are one of the few available, especially for an affordable price. The more I've researched, the more impressed I've been.

6" M-29 from 1978. Or maybe it's 6.5"; they changed somewhere along in there. Smooth as silk trigger.

I need to buy another one, to give this poor old antique a rest-- I've put 700 through it since October, but mainly "light" loads, 240 gr. around 950 fps.

I think the long barrel is the key, along with the smooooth trigger. I've never tried a 4".
Nice guns. I prefer the shorter barrels, mainly because I'm used to them. About 10 yrs ago I traded a buddy for an early '80s 4" 629 that has absolutely the smoothest action I've ever felt on a Smith. You'd call me a liar if I told you how light the single and double action pulls are, yet I've found no evidence that it's ever had an action job.

I love shooting steel plates double action with it using 44 Spl loads driving a 250gr LSWC @ 950 fps!

Back
Top Bottom