• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brake pads...Ceramic or Semi-metallic

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
Average sedan - used for average driving. I hate squeaking or squealing of brakes. What’s they best break pad I can put on a car.

Also do you guys take your rotors anywhere to get turned/machined?

As a master technician for 25+yrs, I recommend putting whatever material pad that comes on your vehicle from the factory.
If your car come with ceramic pads, use ceramic pads...... if your car come with semi metallic pads use semi metallic pads.

As far as brand goes, there are differences in after market parts. I have had good luck with Raybestos Super Stop severe duty pads. A majority of the time, the squealing and squeaking comes from how you install it. Using correct shims help.

Ceramic all day long. Less dust, longer life and great stopping. Semi metallic is old tech. Skip turning rotors. Anything in the last 15 years barely has enough meat to be turned. I have not seen a lot of difference between cheap rotors and expensive. Good pads yes but cheap rotors as long as they are balanced seem to be fine. I started doing rotors every brake job and call it good. Semi metallic pads are also harder on rotors.

Use the material the OEM calls for. Ceramic on a car that calls for semi metallic CAN(not everytime) cause extra heat and cause warped rotors fairly quickly.

And yes, machine the rotors. Another cause of noise is not properly machining and washing the rotors. We use Dawn detergent, warm water and a scrub brush after we machine rotors. Use a good name brand pad. Stay away from the big box parts store house label.

PM me if you want to know what I have done for the last 30 years...and I rarely if ever get a comeback due to noise or skreechy brakes. Not telling all my secrets! LOL

If you have good driving habits (no double foot dragging the brakes or hard stopping) run ceramics. They make more heat than semi's and will warp your rotors quicker than semi's if your driving habits suck. A good grade of semi's wont squeak but theyll make more dust. Most Oreillys/Napas will turn your rotors.

If you have good driving habits (no double foot dragging the brakes or hard stopping) run ceramics. They make more heat than semi's and will warp your rotors quicker than semi's if your driving habits suck. A good grade of semi's wont squeak but theyll make more dust. Most Oreillys/Napas will turn your rotors.
I disagree that it only happens if your stopping habits suck. Ceramic make more heat. In some cases very good braking habits were rewarded with warped rotors. Stick with what is OE for your vehicle.

I disagree that it only happens if your stopping habits suck. Ceramic make more heat. In some cases very good braking habits were rewarded with warped rotors. Stick with what is OE for your vehicle.
Didnt say -only- but ya you're right. If the car maker makes the rotors thin as deli ham from the get go, then you're hosed from day one.

Didnt say -only- but ya you're right. If the car maker makes the rotors thin as deli ham from the get go, then you're hosed from day one.
It has a lot to do with the composition of the rotor as well. A distributor gave me a set of high end ceramics they were trying to get me to stock, to put on my '03 530i BMW. Stopped great, didnt dust too bad, no worse than anything else, BUT I was turning my rotors every 4 to 6 weeks. I NEVER WARP ROTORS!! LOL Went back to OE semi metalic and havent turned the rotors since...10 months ago.

I put what the manufactorer calls for on my customers cars and have learned a trick or two to ensure they never make noise, and have few if any comebackers. I do alot of brakes for the size of my shop.

Back
Top Bottom