• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brass coated steel cases .....

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I'll be danged, I just found this out when a Sellier & Bellot 9mm case appeared to have a military crimp or very small primer pocket, so I used a case chamfering tool and noticed white metal from reaming the primer pocket. Boxer primed too.

I guess it's ok to reload...... I could separate it with a magnet.

Double checked with other S&B cases with a different date stamp from that container with the red primer sealer but it's brass.

Filed case S&B "08".

i57.tinypic.com_2zity87.jpg

i60.tinypic.com_2ryq72v.jpg

Filed another case, stamped S&B "10".

i57.tinypic.com_50h8j6.jpg

i61.tinypic.com_208cydc.jpg

I have shot a good bit of S&B 9mm the last few years but haven't tried to reload any. I had read somewhere that some of their's a brass coated steel but how do you tell which it is without a magnet? I have several hundred rounds still to be shot :) Do you think it'd be ok to reload? I think I'd pass on it.

Edit: Just did a spot check on my saved brass and didn't find any of the S&B 9 mm I have that would stick to a magnet.

Last edited:
Yep, I'll probably pass on the brass coated steel too. But if I slipped up and one got through I wouldn't sweat it. I have heard tell of some reloaders reloading berdamned steel case several times.

Some sort of hydraulic press is used to pop the fired primer out and the steel is a soft steel. My limited knowledge of metallurgy tells me the steel would work harden, become brittle and fail sooner than brass.

I just hope we never get to a point where we must reload steel berdamned cases.......

Back
Top Bottom