• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick stew, pretty danged good!

We’ll maybe…
IMG_3578.jpeg
IMG_3577.jpeg

It was, still have a couple of quarts frozen. I took two qts to the ODT show and gave out a few samples.

One fellow got what looked like fishing line in his cup but I realized after that it wasn't from the stew, it was from the damned package of plastic 6 oz cups I used to pass out samples, LOL.
OH WOW..............A little entertainment.....

OH WOW..............A little entertainment.....
I was horrified. But since I smoked the shoulders AND the chicken thighs and used fresh tomatoes (Roma) and onion I knew damned well it wasn't something that got into the pot. Now I check all containers I use.

I was horrified. But since I smoked the shoulders AND the chicken thighs and used fresh tomatoes (Roma) and onion I knew damned well it wasn't something that got into the pot. Now I check all containers I use.
I know it was embarrassing. It wasn't anything that would hurt anyone and you learned something. It could've happened to anyone.

Tried making it the way my grandmother used to. It's delicious. I was working from 45+ year old memories, not measuring anything really, just adding until it looked and tasted right.

Smoked chicken thighs and smoked pork butt minced (about 6-8 cups total).
2 sweet and 1 large Spanish onion diced (sweated with 1/2 stick butter to begin)
Minced Garlic 3 cloves
13 Roma tomatoes blanched, peeled diced.
1 can Tomato sauce.
What'syersisters sauce, about 4 tablespoons.
White vinegar, about 2/3 cup.
Yellow mustard, good squirt.
Ketchup, two good squirts.
Salt and pepper to taste.
3 cups chicken broth (homemade).
YIELD: about 5 quarts.

NO: Corn, Potatoes, Okra, Butterbeans, Green Beans, Sweet Peas or Carrots to float around like it's some type of jacked up vegetable soup.

I realize I'm starting something with that last statement.
View attachment 5675452
I'm giving this one a go today.
I've been digging through all the old family recipes but it looks like one of the vultures has made off with my wife's personal cookbook already.
Been looking online as well but a lot of the stuff I see doesn't even fit my definition of Brunswick stew.
Will file a report later.

Back
Top Bottom