• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick stew, pretty danged good!

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
Tried making it the way my grandmother used to. It's delicious. I was working from 45+ year old memories, not measuring anything really, just adding until it looked and tasted right.

Smoked chicken thighs and smoked pork butt minced (about 6-8 cups total).
2 sweet and 1 large Spanish onion diced (sweated with 1/2 stick butter to begin)
Minced Garlic 3 cloves
13 Roma tomatoes blanched, peeled diced.
1 can Tomato sauce.
What'syersisters sauce, about 4 tablespoons.
White vinegar, about 2/3 cup.
Yellow mustard, good squirt.
Ketchup, two good squirts.
Salt and pepper to taste.
3 cups chicken broth (homemade).
YIELD: about 5 quarts.

NO: Corn, Potatoes, Okra, Butterbeans, Green Beans, Sweet Peas or Carrots to float around like it's some type of jacked up vegetable soup.

I realize I'm starting something with that last statement.
20230504_051305.jpg

That looks good 😊
Some times I use hog head that I have bowled down and the meet off it
When I was about 5 my grandmother stopped boiling hogs heads in the huge "cannibal pot" over the fire in the yard behind the kitchen. We called it a cannibal pot (iron kettle) because we could easily fit in it.

Tried making it the way my grandmother used to. It's delicious. I was working from 45+ year old memories, not measuring anything really, just adding until it looked and tasted right.

Smoked chicken thighs and smoked pork butt minced (about 6-8 cups total).
2 sweet and 1 large Spanish onion diced (sweated with 1/2 stick butter to begin)
Minced Garlic 3 cloves
13 Roma tomatoes blanched, peeled diced.
1 can Tomato sauce.
What'syersisters sauce, about 4 tablespoons.
White vinegar, about 2/3 cup.
Yellow mustard, good squirt.
Ketchup, two good squirts.
Salt and pepper to taste.
3 cups chicken broth (homemade).
YIELD: about 5 quarts.

NO: Corn, Potatoes, Okra, Butterbeans, Green Beans, Sweet Peas or Carrots to float around like it's some type of jacked up vegetable soup.

I realize I'm starting something with that last statement.
View attachment 5675452

That looks good. I’m a fan of the Fresh air and Finchers style STEW. I hate Brunswick soup with corn and okra and beans n crap.

That looks good. I’m a fan of the Fresh air and Finchers style STEW. I hate Brunswick soup with corn and okra and beans n crap.
I can tolerate Fresh Air, if I have a roll of Tums with me.

Finchers stew would be on my "last meal request" if I was being executed.

That looks really good !! Most of the time just winging it is when comes out best when it comes to cooking
I really believe that if you cook enough, and are willing to experiment with known flavor profiles (some things just work together no matter what you are cooking) of ingredients, you get more enjoyment out of it rather than simply following someone else's instructions.

I really believe that if you cook enough, and are willing to experiment with known flavor profiles (some things just work together no matter what you are cooking) of ingredients, you get more enjoyment out of it rather than simply following someone else's instructions.
Amen to that. My buddies wife has to have a written recipe for everything. I tell her to try it. You may screw some things up but you learn and get better at it. I travel a lot and eat at many restaurants. When I find a dish I really like I try to figure it out at home but put my twist on it. I'm usually successful.

Back
Top Bottom