• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buckshot or Slug

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
245   0
Reaction score
If you had to hunt deer with a shotgun, what load would you use? Part of me thinks the buckshot wouldn't damage as much meat, but then I think that the shot will damage just as much but be spread out more. For those of you who hunt with a shotgun, what round do you use?

If you had to hunt deer with a shotgun, what load would you use? Part of me thinks the buckshot wouldn't damage as much meat, but then I think that the shot will damage just as much but be spread out more. For those of you who hunt with a shotgun, what round do you use?

Slug with a rifled choked or barrel. Better range and ability to shoot though thick brush. They are both going to tear up some meat..if you wanted to, it would not be hard to pull a head shot with a slug i imagine...

Venison sound so frikin good right now, man I'm hungry..

Not hunting WMA but yes, you are right.
There has to be a reason for it. Maybe guys taking shots at too great a distance and just wounding deer. I probably would not take a shot with it at greater than 40 yards.

Last edited:
There has to be a reason for it. Maybe guys taking shots at too great a distance and just wounding deer. I probably would take a shot with it at greater than 40 yards.

I would think it's a "wounding issue" as well or maybe pellet deflection and potential for injury?

Remember...

• Plugged Shotguns: Shotguns must be plugged to a maximum capacity of 3 shells (magazine and chamber combined) except for deer, bear and feral hog shotguns, which are limited to maximum capacity of 5 shells. Plugs must be one piece and incapable of being removed through the loading end of the magazine.

Remember...

• Plugged Shotguns: Shotguns must be plugged to a maximum capacity of 3 shells (magazine and chamber combined) except for deer, bear and feral hog shotguns, which are limited to maximum capacity of 5 shells. Plugs must be one piece and incapable of being removed through the loading end of the magazine.
I'm good on the laws....thanks. Looking for advice on loadings.

NP...most people overlook that one because rifles have no maximum capacity or magazine restrictions and they assume it would apply to shotguns as well.

We always loaded slug, 00, slug. Thought was 1st shot (slug) standing, 2nd shot (00 or 000 buck) moving/running, 3rd shot (slug) is last chance and most likely won't be close. Only time we are 00 only is when we are stalking in the woods and expect a deer either escaping or creeping away. BTW, I normally hunt with my AR15 in 7.62x39 and don't miss.

Back
Top Bottom