• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buckshot or Slug

It's been a long time since I killed a deer with a shotgun but my last one was with a 20 gauge rifled slug at 60 yards. I took a neck shot and ended up cutting it's throat. :Note to self, never do that again.:
Sounds....messy. :grey:

I'd stick with slugs and I'd make sure of where my shots are hitting. Are you using a smoothbore or a rifled barrel? If it's not rifled what's the choke? Anything tighter than Modified is going to create problems with accuracy, which is relative with a smoothbore.
I haven't decided completely yet on what I'll be using but I am leaning heavily toward an 18.5" smooth bore with rifled slugs. I don't expect to have to take a shot much over 50m.

I have killed many a deer in Georgia with 00-Buckshot 30-35 yards is a good range. I have never had a deer get back up after it was shot with 00-Buckshot. It isn't that hard to get that close to deer in Georgia because we have plenty of thick area's where trails go through. If I have to choose I pick buck shot. But since I don't have to pick, my first shot or two has buckshot and slugs after that just in case you get a shot at more than one. I am a meat hunter after all.

I believe there are different diameter slugs, and you need to match them to your gun so that it doesn't swell the barrel. I read that in one of my manuals somewhere

I'd go with a slug. Better in the brush, hits harder, longer effective range with the 18" smoothbore. Most things hit in the vitals with slugs are DRT. Buckshot is good to use at times as well.

Last edited:
I'm with the slug crowd. I just picked up a mossberg 12 gauge with a rifled barrel to hunt here and in Ohio (shotgun only). I'm planning on buy a few types of sabot slugs and hit the range and see which groups best.

I think I've decided to go with rifled 1.0oz slugs in an 18.5 barrel. After having walked the property, I don't have a shot over 100yds and even those are few and far between. Thanks for the input guys!

Back
Top Bottom