• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buckshot or Slug

We always loaded slug, 00, slug. Thought was 1st shot (slug) standing, 2nd shot (00 or 000 buck) moving/running, 3rd shot (slug) is last chance and most likely won't be close. Only time we are 00 only is when we are stalking in the woods and expect a deer either escaping or creeping away. BTW, I normally hunt with my AR15 in 7.62x39 and don't miss.

Makes good sense...Federal buckshot with the flight control wad holds the tightest paterns i have seen..

OP. at what distances are you planning to hunt, within 50-75 yards buckshot past that rifled slugs would be my suggestion, I try to aim for the head and neck area has worked so far and never had one run off and it saves all the good meat too. Good luck this year.

You could shoot those loads where its a slug and 3 shots...

OP. at what distances are you planning to hunt, within 50-75 yards buckshot past that rifled slugs would be my suggestion, I try to aim for the head and neck area has worked so far and never had one run off and it saves all the good meat too. Good luck this year.

Thank you, sir! I plan on keeping shots to < 75yds. Picked up a bunch of this today...anybody familiar with it?

[Broken External Image]:

It's been a long time since I killed a deer with a shotgun but my last one was with a 20 gauge rifled slug at 60 yards. I took a neck shot and ended up cutting it's throat. :Note to self, never do that again.:

I'd stick with slugs and I'd make sure of where my shots are hitting. Are you using a smoothbore or a rifled barrel? If it's not rifled what's the choke? Anything tighter than Modified is going to create problems with accuracy, which is relative with a smoothbore.

Back
Top Bottom