• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buckshot or Slug

I sighted in my 870 with slugs and then patterned my buck.

At 35 yards, I am getting a consistent pattern on a pie plate. 9 out of 15 pellets are averaging hits with the remaining pellets a little wider out.

I will be hunting with my shotgun (buck shot) only if the first part of the season gives me at least 3 deer. I forgot how unpleasant slugs and buck are to shoot.

Looking forward to some pics OP!

I just had the 870p out to the range. Its an 18" cylinder bore with leaf sights on the barrel:

Sorry for the sideways pics..i was surprised i even got them to upload from my phone...

This is a standard silotte target at 25 yards, 6 shots with winchester "grey box" slugs

20130920_175041.jpg

Here is anoher 3 shot group:

20130920_175340.jpg

Here is "regular" federal 2 3/4 9pellet buck at 15 yards:
20130920_175706.jpg

Here is the federal low recoil with flight control wad at 15 yards:

20130920_175658.jpg

Next time ill get the whole target in the pics...or at least some measurments for a better idea of scale..

Last edited:
I sighted in my 870 with slugs and then patterned my buck.

At 35 yards, I am getting a consistent pattern on a pie plate. 9 out of 15 pellets are averaging hits with the remaining pellets a little wider out.

I will be hunting with my shotgun (buck shot) only if the first part of the season gives me at least 3 deer. I forgot how unpleasant slugs and buck are to shoot.

Nice..What sight or optic on it?

I found that having an open stance with feet square to shoulders pointing forward so your whole body is facing the target really helps with the recoil...especially that and a 20 buck rubber shoulder saver..

Back
Top Bottom