• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a “Go To” AR

You can build a really nice AR for right around grand. Usually mine run into the 1,200 to 1,400 range. I just say f**k it, I am already a grand in what's another couple of hundred dollars. I went to Cabellas the other day to just handle a couple of the 700 dollar to 900 dollar range. They felt cheap and sloppy. If you really put the time and effort into reading reviews and seeking out the quality parts you will end up with a really good gun. All of my builds are go to. I take my time and get good quality parts and lube everything that moves. A home build can be as reliable as a mid to high line build. It is essential to put the most of your attention and money into the BCG, fire control group and barrel. Just make sure everything is mil spec. Usually what drives up the price in the end is what you pick for furniture. That stuff starts adding up quick and get up into the 300 range for just a hand guard. If you take your time and pick your parts wisely you will end up with a build that not only shoots great but feels like a well oiled machine from the action to the feel of the safety and over all feel of the gun. Don't let fear of the unknown keep you from starting your build. Once the first build is done you will say to yourself what's all the fuss about, these guns are easy to build. Dive in and enjoy the experience. Just let us know how everything is progressing. We like to hear news of a first build and how it's going.

Look at Sons Of Liberty Gunworks. No fancy skulls and wild hogs, just solid high quality parts that meet or exceed mil-spec. They sell everything from complete rifles and carbines, to assembled uppers and lowers, to stripped receivers and every other part you’ll need.

I’m a big fan of the Black River Tactical Optimum 16” barrel. I have several of them.

I really don't understand people's love affair with the Colt 6920's. They are entry level. They are consistent, but they are still entry level. They are also one of, if not the only, major manufacturers to still be using a carbine length gas system on a 16 inch gun. Makes no sense.

If you have a budget of $750, great, grab a colt.

You can build a really nice AR for right around grand. Usually mine run into the 1,200 to 1,400 range. I just say f**k it, I am already a grand in what's another couple of hundred dollars. I went to Cabellas the other day to just handle a couple of the 700 dollar to 900 dollar range. They felt cheap and sloppy. If you really put the time and effort into reading reviews and seeking out the quality parts you will end up with a really good gun. All of my builds are go to. I take my time and get good quality parts and lube everything that moves. A home build can be as reliable as a mid to high line build. It is essential to put the most of your attention and money into the BCG, fire control group and barrel. Just make sure everything is mil spec. Usually what drives up the price in the end is what you pick for furniture. That stuff starts adding up quick and get up into the 300 range for just a hand guard. If you take your time and pick your parts wisely you will end up with a build that not only shoots great but feels like a well oiled machine from the action to the feel of the safety and over all feel of the gun. Don't let fear of the unknown keep you from starting your build. Once the first build is done you will say to yourself what's all the fuss about, these guns are easy to build. Dive in and enjoy the experience. Just let us know how everything is progressing. We like to hear news of a first build and how it's going.
Damn Greg, you’ve always been my favorite AR builder on ODT because of your no-nonsense approach to parts that focused on quality vs name brand worship, but I’m starting to worry when I see you posting about $300+ handguards.

Stay true to your roots and keep championing some of the lesser known companies that are putting out quality products at lower price points. THAT is what has made you an ODT legend.

Don’t fall into the “flavor of the month” name-brand trap.

I really don't understand people's love affair with the Colt 6920's. They are entry level. They are consistent, but they are still entry level. They are also one of, if not the only, major manufacturers to still be using a carbine length gas system on a 16 inch gun. Makes no sense.

If you have a budget of $750, great, grab a colt.
Prepare to be trampled by a herd of Bronies.

Damn Greg, you’ve always been my favorite AR builder on ODT because of your no-nonsense approach to parts that focused on quality vs name brand worship, but I’m starting to worry when I see you posting about $300+ handguards.

Stay true to your roots and keep championing some of the lesser known companies that are putting out quality products at lower price points. THAT is what has made you an ODT legend.

Don’t fall into the “flavor of the month” name-brand trap.
That's a excellent way of saying it. " Brand Name Worship ". You have coined the phrase. Once someone puts on those blinders it's hard for them realize there are other great AR parts manufacturers out there.

Back
Top Bottom