• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a “Go To” AR

I’m not gonna trample you, but isn’t the carbine 16” barrel setup supposed to be more reliable than a mid length 16” setup?

I know it’s over-gassed, but that’s a good thing when you’re running Tula .223 in your AR.
Not really needed. I've shot plenty of steel case, simply bc it's cheap. Never was a gas issue. Case head separation, squib, hard primers.

BCM is solid or you can just get a Colt LE6920. My 6920 has a decent trigger, feels a lot like my ALG ACT trigger. If you want to get a really good trigger get a Geissele but I would trust my life to my Colt or my LMT SBR that sits on my Anderson lower with ACT trigger.

I’m not gonna trample you, but isn’t the carbine 16” barrel setup supposed to be more reliable than a mid length 16” setup?

I know it’s over-gassed, but that’s a good thing when you’re running Tula .223 in your AR.

Over-gassed beats up parts and wears them out quicker. If you have some weak magazine springs, you could have a situation where the BCG runs faster than the magazine is pushing the rounds up, so the bolt overrides the round instead of catching the rim and pushing. Also, the carbine length has more recoil then you would have when properly gassed.

I’ve owned both lengths in 16” guns. Never had an issue with either, with any ammo, but the midlength is softer shooting and easier on the gun. My primary gun is a 16” midlength from SOLGW. Lately I’ve been running some weak American Eagle .223 that I was given as payment for some LE training. Runs perfectly in my gun, even though it’s noticeably softer shooting and quieter.

Over-gassed beats up parts and wears them out quicker. If you have some weak magazine springs, you could have a situation where the BCG runs faster than the magazine is pushing the rounds up, so the bolt overrides the round instead of catching the rim and pushing. Also, the carbine length has more recoil then you would have when properly gassed.

I’ve owned both lengths in 16” guns. Never had an issue with either, with any ammo, but the midlength is softer shooting and easier on the gun. My primary gun is a 16” midlength from SOLGW. Lately I’ve been running some weak American Eagle .223 that I was given as payment for some LE training. Runs perfectly in my gun, even though it’s noticeably softer shooting and quieter.

My next build or purchase will be a mid-length 14.5.

Not really needed. I've shot plenty of steel case, simply bc it's cheap. Never was a gas issue. Case head separation, squib, hard primers.

I understand that being over gassed is harder on parts, but it also makes the gun more reliable with cheaper, lower powered ammo. I believe that’s why Colt and other companies sell 16” barrels with carbine gas systems.

It’s basically just a 14.5” setup that’s been extended to over 16” to make it legal for civilian sales.

Reactions: MRH

Do you think a slightly heavier barrel or profile could reduce recoil? My M&P Sport 2 has a carbine length gas system (I believe it does, anyway) and I can't tell much difference, if any, to similar mid length gas systems. Still, it is of concern to me if the system wears on the parts more rapidly because of the carbine length gas system. I bought the rifle when money was a bit tight and I really wanted another AR. It has been completely flawless, though, and a joy to shoot.

Great post, BTW.

I understand that being over gassed is harder on parts, but it also makes the gun more reliable with cheaper, lower powered ammo. I believe that’s why Colt and other companies sell 16” barrels with carbine gas systems.

It’s basically just a 14.5” setup that’s been extended to over 16” to make it legal for civilian sales.

I am pretty sure my M&P Sport 2 is carbine length and it is very reliable with cheap ammo. A very inexpensive, accurate, reliable rifle that shoots cheap ammo reliably = win for me. S&W got the budget thing right. LOL

14.5 inch socom is snappier than 16 mid length for sure that middy is a pleasure to shoot..but not saying the 14.5 isnt either..really depends on what your definition of a go to really is..shorter the more maneuverable 14.5 IMHO is the best of both worlds.

14.5 inch socom is snappier than 16 mid length for sure that middy is a pleasure to shoot..but not saying the 14.5 isnt either..really depends on what your definition of a go to really is..shorter the more maneuverable 14.5 IMHO is the best of both worlds.
I’ve got both and I honestly can’t tell much difference in the recoil.

Either one of these puppies will eat the cheapest steel case .223 I feed them.

F2A3B803-A48A-4AE7-9E3D-C6AA803602E6.jpeg

56D0E194-7045-49AC-BE80-7874A04DA41C.jpeg

I am pretty sure my M&P Sport 2 is carbine length and it is very reliable with cheap ammo. A very inexpensive, accurate, reliable rifle that shoots cheap ammo reliably = win for me. S&W got the budget thing right. LOL
I used to have an M&P15. It was a 16” carbine and would eat ANYTHING without a hiccup

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom