Building a SBR Regulation Questions

Here is the thing about engraving the barrel....

Have you seen a barrel with a serial number on it to match a lower that is the firearm that you are turning into a NFA item.

It doesnt say that that is a requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

People dont engrave the barrel for reasons given by laxguy, not because they cant.

Good points and benefits on engraving the lower. Thats the rout I'll go with. I should of asked these questions yesterday since there was a sweet deal for a troy 7.5" upper that ended yesterday (800ish). Oh well, worst case is Ill buy one at full price (1500ish) if I dont find another deal by the end of the week.

Makes sense thinking about it though. It would be $2-300 from one of the machine shops I deal with simply due to fixturing and setup time. Seems Indent is already setup for "ar15" reciever, so that eliminates most of the time.

$200-$300 for engraving is a robbery! They better include a special customized lower and built on GPS.

see below from ATF FAQ

I'll lead you through the problems with engraving the barrel of an AR and not the receiver.

1. The lower receiver is the regulated firearm and what would become the SBR, not the upper.

2. The ATF FAQ specifically says "This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed."

3. The ATF can make an argument that an AR upper is susceptible of being readily removed from the firearm, unless permanently or semi-permanently, attached to the lower.

Plus, engraving the receiver allows you to use multiple uppers.

I see absolutely no good reason to engrave the barrel of an SBR AR-15.

Also, both Spikes and guntrustlawyer say you should engrave the lower.

As to this comment:
People dont engrave the barrel for reasons given by laxguy, not because they cant.

Does anyone want to be the test case for this theory? I doubt it. Just engrave the lower. That's what everybody does because they know the ATF is ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom