• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

building carport on top of the driveway

I can absolutely promise you without a shadow of doubt, no building code enforcement will sign off on any load bearing structure built on a driveway slab.
It simply can't bear the weight.
Feel free to test it, if you so desire.

I can absolutely promise you without a shadow of doubt, no building code enforcement will sign off on any load bearing structure built on a driveway slab.
Most all of us know that we just like the friendly banter, bahahaha hahahahah hahahaha hahahaha

Can't speak to the building code issue, but unless you know what's in and beneath the driveway, you can't predict what weight it will bear. For all we know, there's rebar and fiber mesh. Maybe it's a 6" thick driveway. Maybe it's sitting on a very stable ground, made up of mostly solid rock, or was expertly prepped with compaction. We also don't know the weight of the intended carport. With enough posts and lightweight trusses, the amount of weight transferred through any single post may be (relatively) trivial.

Too many unknowns for definitive statements about what will happen.

Im trying not to cut the drive way. Wanted confirmation.

Cannot go over the driveway and it\s good size driveway.
What about something like this? photo below.

Attachments

• carport-1024x585.jpg
    carport-1024x585.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 22
  • carports-14-600x400px.jpg
    carports-14-600x400px.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
Im trying not to cut the drive way. Wanted confirmation.

Cannot go over the driveway and it\s good size driveway.
What about something like this? photo below.

My take is that's very doable. Those structures probably don't weight even 1500lbs. Which means the psi at the footings, even if they are small, is going to be low. If the driveway is well built and the ground below is not subsiding, it will be fine.

My take is that's very doable. Those structures probably don't weight even 1500lbs. Which means the psi at the footings, even if they are small, is going to be low. If the driveway is well built and the ground below is not subsiding, it will be fine.
You're still going to need to find a way to anchor all that.

Back
Top Bottom