• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bullet Setback In New Ammo

Here is a link to a drawing with tolerances. OAL is pretty wide.

I bought 12 boxes of Sig V Crown 147 grain 9mm ammo yesterday.

Upon getting it home and inspecting, I'd say 8 of the boxes have a shorter OAL than the other 4.

Not sure if the 8 are at a correct OAL for this round (to their specs) and the 4 are loaded long. Perhaps it's the 8 are short and the 4 are correct length.

Anyone else see this? I've emailed the retailer but am curious if it's an issue.

Long OAL = 1.195"
Short OAL = 1.065"

.13 variation seems excessive for new, unchambered ammunition.

Here is a link to a drawing with tolerances. OAL is pretty wide.

I see the data .I am not an expert. But I damn sure don't reload that wide open . I do load different c.o.a.l. for different bullet weights and types but that seems like begging for function and accuracy issues.

I would be concerned. I would probably try a few of the shorter rounds and see if there are signs of pressure. I would also reach out to them and get them to verify they are within their specs. I would then use the shorter for range or testing the ammo and carry the ammo that is closer to what it should be. At least that way if something does happen you have documentation. Seems like Sig is in a hurry to do a lot of things and maybe they should slow down and focus on QC a little more.

My take is a little different.

That kind of variability says a lot about their lack of QC.

What you're getting isn't just variability in the OAL but also in the amount of expansion space inside the cartridge, so you are *likely* to see noticeable variation in ballistic performance.

Now, for plinking ammo, you might not care, but I have to be careful with the OAL and profile of 147 gr in some of my steep feed-ramp guns like the BHP.

I see the data .I am not an expert. But I damn sure don't reload that wide open . I do load different c.o.a.l. for different bullet weights and types but that seems like begging for function and accuracy issues.
Exactly! Imagine having to rely on that in a situation of danger. The thought of that is haunting!

No I'm no expert at reloading pistol cartridges and I say that because I haven't reloaded any pistol cartridges. However there is a difference in overall length between different bullet weights so I guess the gun will allow for certain variations but that still no excuse for that much variation from the same brand, the same grain, same projectile from the same sku product. I say this is intolerable HORSE S**T!

No I'm no expert at reloading pistol cartridges and I say that because I haven't reloaded any pistol cartridges. However there is a difference in overall length between different bullet weights so I guess the gun will allow for certain variations but that still no excuse for that much variation from the same brand, the same grain, same projectile from the same sku product. I say this is intolerable HORSE S**T!

But quite tolerable to some other users who value cheap ammo over good ammo. QC is one of the first corners that are cut in manufacturing when you're trying to build to a specific price.

But quite tolerable to some other users who value cheap ammo over good ammo. QC is one of the first corners that are cut in manufacturing when you're trying to build to a specific price.
Yeah especially in the ammo shortage or just trying to get back to even Keel again. I would think that a company like Sig could do it just a little bit better than that. Don't get me wrong they've made some fabulous guns but they've made a couple of Duds as well. I would hate to see that kind of situation pop up regularly with their ammo. That would make me think twice about buying a Sig product again.

Yeah I think many are too satisfied with lots of bang rather than precision. I'm more interested in consistency and reliability. I can't really believe stuff with that much variation is going to give either.

I bought 12 boxes of Sig V Crown 147 grain 9mm ammo yesterday.

Upon getting it home and inspecting, I'd say 8 of the boxes have a shorter OAL than the other 4.

Not sure if the 8 are at a correct OAL for this round (to their specs) and the 4 are loaded long. Perhaps it's the 8 are short and the 4 are correct length.

Anyone else see this? I've emailed the retailer but am curious if it's an issue.

Long OAL = 1.195"
Short OAL = 1.065"

.13 variation seems excessive for new, unchambered ammunition.
Max OAL as per SAAMI specs is 29.70mm, or 1.1693in

Over by .024" on the "long" sample.

Back
Top Bottom