• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buying a car out of state?

Okuma

Space Force Icon Supporter
crocodylus pontifex
Staff member
Administrator
276   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happens if I buy a car from out of state? Do I have to pay sales tax if I buy it from a private oarty? What do they base the value on.

I haven't been able to find a solid answer so far online.

Yes, you will have to pay sales tax. They will send you a bill. You will have to supply them with a bill of sale from the seller, or a valuation from KBB or other comparable sight showing what the vehicle is worth. They will calculate a bill based on the sales tax rate in your county.

i bring cars back from ohio all the time .all i ever pay tax wise is on what i bought it for ,then the out of state inspection which is free in senoia ,tag fees ect but tax based on purchased price . hope that helps

You pay the sales tax when you get a tag, bill of sale is required, whichever one you want to present, just not $1.380 as they will question very low prices unless you can convince them it's a parts car or one that needs a bunch of repairs.

Get a title and make sure the vin matches, along with a bill of sale. If you try to register with only an out of state registration or vin it may be an unpleasant surprise.
If its a salvage title you will have to have the car inspected by the state inspection place nearest you.

For new or cars purchased from a dealership, you'll pay the GA state tax when you tag and title the car. There is no sales tax on private party used cars as far as I can recall. I believe starting Jan 1 instead of paying Ad Valorem every year you'll pay one lump sum when you title the car.

Get a title and make sure the vin matches, along with a bill of sale. If you try to register with only an out of state registration or vin it may be an unpleasant surprise.
If its a salvage title you will have to have the car inspected by the state inspection place nearest you.
all out of state vehicles need to be vin inspected and verified before registering salvaged or not

Back
Top Bottom