• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a pistol for my grandson

Is there a differentiation between buying for someone prohibited and someone not prohibited from possessing in the context of straw purchasing ? Looks to me that the OP, nor the grandson are prohibited from possessing a firearm. I assume that the firearm was already paid for by the OP so the ffl will only have to do the 4473 and transfer the gun to the grandson. Does it matter who paid for it ?
As for straw purchasing yes. The very definition of a straw purchase is buying for someone who cannot legally own it or otherwise does not want their name associated with the paperwork. See post #69.
As for does it matter who paid for it? No.

As for straw purchasing yes. The very definition of a straw purchase is buying for someone who cannot legally own it or otherwise does not want their name associated with the paperwork. See post #69.
As for does it matter who paid for it? No.
A couple of years ago I purchased at auction, a particular gun as a gift. I being a GA resident was in AZ at the time and the gift was for my roommate who was O-3 active duty Air Force.

I went down to the lgs and every way I could think of to possibly transfer the gift was deemed a straw purchase by the local FFL.....

I read that earlier and I believe that the FFL in that case was wrong. Just because they issue you a license doesn't mean you automatically understand the laws. You have to figure them out on your own for the most part.

Is there a differentiation between buying for someone prohibited and someone not prohibited from possessing in the context of straw purchasing ? Looks to me that the OP, nor the grandson are prohibited from possessing a firearm. I assume that the firearm was already paid for by the OP so the ffl will only have to do the 4473 and transfer the gun to the grandson. Does it matter who paid for it ?
Yes, it matters who paid for it it’s the very first question on the 4473.

Yes, it matters who paid for it it’s the very first question on the 4473.
21a Are you the actual transferee/buyer........
I read that as either transferee or buyer. It would make no sense that they would prefer you to buy it and give it to someone they have no record of instead of having the name of the actual person who is going to end up with it on the 4473. The whole point of the 4473 is to help trace the gun to the actual owner if it is found at a crime scene or recovered as stolen property. How would having your name on it help if you don't own it? That would just add an unneeded step to tracing it.

Grandmother lives in Seattle. Her Grandson lives in Tallahassee. She buys him a firearm for his 21st birthday, from Gunbroker. She has it shipped to the FFL of his choice in Tallahassee. Can he legally complete the 4473 as the purchaser/transferee?
Y’all are ignoring the bigger question here…………is Grandma hot or not?

Back
Top Bottom