• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a pistol for my grandson

This seems pretty straightforward but I thought I would run it by you guys. My grandson just turned 21 and express a desire to get into sport shooting. I ordered a pistol from a local dealer. It's supposed to come in this week. If I take my grandson to the store and he fills out the 4473 are there any legal pitfalls. Thanks

Yeah you're good if its a transfer. I wish i had a grandpa as cool as you

Stick to AR wrenching. Witty comebacks aren't your forte, and I'm pretty sure you were the one whining about auditors picking on FFLs lol.

Widdle Feewings, show me on the doll where the officer and/or FFL hurt you.

IMG_1226.jpeg

I think ya got em' right here.

View attachment 6879260
In that case, he’s either really blessed or really old.

I think you marked around the knee level. I’m having a rough time across the board. I don’t know whether to use the HaHa emoji or the WOW emoji… I don’t know whether to be jealous or grateful. Most confusing post ever.

In that case, he’s either really blessed or really old.

I think you marked around the knee level. I’m having a rough time across the board. I don’t know whether to use the HaHa emoji or the WOW emoji… I don’t know whether to be jealous or grateful. Most confusing post ever.
I realized that after the fact, but was too lazy to do another one, lol.

Leave it to ODT to overcomplicate the **** out of a simple question :pound:

If the gun is for your grandson then he should be the one to pick it up and fill out the 4473. If it was my shop I wouldn't even require you to be there. Your grandson could come by himself and pick it up no problem. It isn't even my business who paid for it and I'm not keeping any records of who paid for it. My records will only show the dealer I got it from and the individual I transferred too. Couldn't care less about whose card was used to buy it from the online retailer.

... It would make no sense that they would prefer you to buy it and give it to someone they have no record of instead of having the name of the actual person who is going to end up with it on the 4473. The whole point of the 4473 is to help trace the gun to the actual owner if it is found at a crime scene or recovered as stolen property. How would having your name on it help if you don't own it? That would just add an unneeded step to tracing it.

What you say makes sense, but that's not the law.
You're suggesting that the actual buyer can just leave himself off the "chain of title" on the gun since he KNOWS
it will be immediately transferred to another person.

Yet, I don't think the actual law allows the buyer to keep his name off the 4473 and the background check.
There's no "good enough reason" exception in this law. If there were, this scenario would surely be one of those plenty good reasons.

The current law has a provision for dealing with this:
1-- Grandpa buys the gun, accepts being labeled as the actual buyer and owner [if only temporarily).
2-- Grandpa gives gun as gift to Grandson.
3-- Feds, if they need to trace gun down, pull records on dealer, look at form, find Grandpa and ask him some questions about what became of that gun.

The Democrats PROPOSED FEDERAL LAW would have a new way of dealing with this:
1-- All gun sales and transfers and gifts must go through an FFL, with all the gun info and current owner info going into an instantly-searchable national database.
2-- Grandson does his own 4473 and submits to his own background check, just like Grandpa did earlier (perhaps only minutes earlier).

Back
Top Bottom