• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buying a vehicle; recommendations?

blake

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
177   1
Reaction score
I'm going to be buying another vehicle for myself before too long. I'm looking for something practical but not quite Toyota Corolla vanilla.

This will be mainly driven by me, but should be easy for my wife to drive as well (auto trans :(). Main duties would be commuting to work and a secondary vehicle for family errands - groceries, Home Depot, etc.

I'd like something with decent fuel mileage, but also the ability to haul a couple dog crates or bags of mulch, and if it doesn't have a truck bed I'd need the ability to install a receiver hitch for a utility trailer to haul things like my riding mower when needed.

I'm super cheap so not really looking at buying new, but need something reliable long term, especially if I'm going to finance it.

I've looked at everything from the Tacoma to Jeep Unlimited to Subaru Outback to the new Colorado diesel. The Colorado is cool but the premium price of the diesel pretty much offsets the mpg gain. The Tacoma and 4Runners have horrible fuel mileage for their size. The Subarus are pretty cool, but I they certainly have a certain stigma :cat:.

My wife's primary vehicle is a 4WD RAV4, and it hauls stuff well with the big cargo space, gets 26mpg around town, and rides great. I would feel like a dummy buying two of the same vehicle, plus it's not very cool or exciting.

Any ideas?

I bought a used Explorer from Enterprise fleet sales in 2008. It had 18k miles on it. It has 218k miles on it now with no major repair bills (bearing assemblies, that's it). I drive it like I stole it and treat it like a roommate that owes me money. It's running fine. I think I paid $22k.

My wife has a 16 RAV4 SE and I just got a 17 Camry XSE. It isn't a sports car (have Miata for that); but it is nice riding and should last a long time. OTD pricing was very reasonable as they have a lot of specials going on right now. The tech package is nice if you want or need it.

I've had good luck with Toyota, Honda, Mazda 3, and Nissan (pathfinder/titan), sorry to say not so much with chevy or ford and they do have some good lookin' vehicles. I won't go german have seen too many people with monster sized repair bills when they get miles on em and something goes...

Toyota and Honda have been the best MPG and overall maint. Nissan has been great on maint but the three I have owned do not get good gas mileage compared to other in same class.

Son's Mazda 3 has been completely hassle free and reliable for a budget ride.

Oh the new Nissan Murano is pretty SLICK lookin' thats one I'm tempted to check out!

Back
Top Bottom