• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Buying a vehicle; recommendations?

Replaced my lemon 2006 RAV4 with a 2013 Rogue which I'm much happier with. Got bored and test drove a new Forrester a couple of weeks ago. Subaru beats the wheels off my Rogue in every category I can imagine, except the financial mistake of trading a like new 3 year old car. I may get the Forrester yet,.. for sure in a couple of years.

I looked at the new Chevy Colorado Duramax but running the numbers it looks like the fuel savings would just about net out with the $5k premium for that engine package. It's a great concept though and hopefully price gets driven down as it becomes more common.

I had a newer 4 door Tacoma a few years ago and it was a fine truck, but not nearly as well put together as my old 2000 Tacoma. They're very truck-y and once you add leather seats and such they get pretty expensive. The 4Runners are great functionally but I just cannot get over getting mpg in the teens in a midsize SUV in 2016.

I considered a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a hard top but they get horrible fuel mileage also.

I like our 2012 RAV4 Limited, but the four wheel drive isn't really off-road capable, but it is excellent in snow. When I bought this one I specifically sought out a 2012 as it was the last year of the exterior spare tire and in my opinion better looking. The 2013-2015 RAV4s look like every other "crossover" out there and are as bland as it gets. My 2012 also has a locking differential coupler which is nice.

Right now I can either take over my wife's RAV4 (30k miles) and buy her something like a newer bland RAV4, or buy my own something. I have to say I'm extremely taken by the Subaru Outback. I like the size of the Forester a bit better, but it is so bland looking it's ugly to me.

The Outback has 8.7" ground clearance (F150 FX4 is 9.4") and the Subaru all-wheel-drive system is very impressive. It comes with a factory provision for a receiver hitch that bolts directly in line with the frame behind the bumper. The interior can be appointed nearly like a King Ranch Ford with the leather and such, and of course 32mph highway mpg.

I just don't have a good feel for Subaru reliability compared to Toyota, which has always been my brand. All in all the Outback seems significantly more rugged than the newer RAV4s.

I've found a handful of Certified Pre-owned 2015 Outbacks with the "Limited" trim; leather, GPS, etc. for around 10k miles priced just under $30k.

Subaru Outback. My sister has one and the room is great. I just drove it to Virginia from Atlanta with my daughters car seat in the back, a console/buffet/cabinet in the back and a load of other odds and ends. Very nice and available it AWD.

Also if you are in Canton, i was in Kennesaw last week and saw more Subaru's than i have seen in any other part of Georgia. Apparently Subaru of Kennesaw has amazing prices and customer service according to a friend who owns an Impreza.

We just bought an outback two weeks ago (limited) that thing is amazing, 500 miles and we are getting 30+mph.

Lane detection, dynamic cruise, heated front AND rear seats. Awesome

Back
Top Bottom