• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying or Selling an Unmarked Lower Receiver/Firearm

He's not asking if he's the manufacturer, can he sell the firearm, he's asking if he is a buyer from somebody else that made it is it illegal for him to possess. It is already established that the seller is violated the law but what about the buyer?
And what if the firearm has a serial number (either before sell or not) - the seller has still violated the law but what about the buyer?
Is there any legal requirement to 'register' the s/n?
If the buyer sells it again, what about new buyer?
Even if no legal problems for a buyer, could the firearm be confiscated?

The question about the status of the buyer does seem to be unclear.

All I can think is that if you're found in possession of an unmarked firearm you're going to need to be prepared to convince whoever it may be that it's legal.

The question about the status of the buyer does seem to be unclear.

All I can think is that if you're found in possession of an unmarked firearm you're going to need to be prepared to convince whoever it may be that it's legal.
We live in a country were everything is legal until a law is passed that says it isn't. Burden is on the gov. to prove it isn't, you just got to be willing to fight.

My understanding is that you can sell the now completed lower. I don't think you can finish it with the intention of selling it though. Comey would be right on this one.. it's a real shame he wasn't a member of the atf

My understanding is that you can sell the now completed lower. I don't think you can finish it with the intention of selling it though. Comey would be right on this one.. it's a real shame he wasn't a member of the atf

Put a serial number on it and I would agree; otherwise you may have scrooooooed the pooch!

My understanding is you cannot unless you get a manufacturing license. If you make a firearm, it is yours. If you want to sell it, you need a manufacturing license to do so even if you didnt intend to sell it when you made it.

You answered your own question I think. You can't sell / transfer an unmarked firearm. Some exceptions like older guns made before serial numbers were required.
Yeah I had a pre 68 JC Higgins 12 gauge I got on here a while back. No serial number on it anywhere. It was kinda odd not having one. I sold it to a guy in Richmond Hill a while back.
As for the 80% lower guns I don't see a legal way to transfer those.

Back
Top Bottom