• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying or Selling an Unmarked Lower Receiver/Firearm

Looks to be a gray area. Here is what the atf says about 80% lowers https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1J2HAOVaEcjgRfcXQgIB06&cshid=1546394468910
Yes, I posted that one above your post. I do agree that it is worded poorly. It still takes lots of money to try to fight such a charge. Also there is one line in that text that would lend it to not being a gray area in my opinion.
Because “manufacturing” is not defined by the GCA, courts have relied on the ordinary meaning of the word, including actions to “make a product suitable for use.” See, e.g., Broughman v. Carver, 624 F.3d 670, 675 (4th Cir. 2010). Section 921(a)(11)(B)

Yes there are many, many other words in the text and that is but one sentence. The point is it would be to me easy, for a prosecutor to argue that a 80% blank was made suitable for use, therefore if you sell it, you are a manufacturer and fall under the manufacturer guidelines if you you choose to sell it. I know it says that an individual is not required to follow those manufacturer rules as long as they keep the item for personal use. Again it goes back to are you willing to be the case study? The way our courts are I suspect the gun owner would loose, possibly requiring up to and including the supreme court to require actual concise wording. Problem is the ATF is not a law making branch, however they sure seem to be lately. Also in that ATF PDF, it goes to talk about allowing someone else to use your CNC/machining equipment requires that equipment owner to have a manufacturing licenses. 80% or ghost guns are kind of a hot topic right now.

Back
Top Bottom