• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying private land to shoot on?

I have good credit and existing assets and can mortgage the land if needed with a decent downpayment. So I would appreciate specific places if you guys have any ideas. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.

There've been a couple of threads on here about chipping in to buy land for shooting. At the end of the day it's been a non starter as a group thing because of liability and insurance.

As an individual... If you have the $$$ I'd say go for it. Land isn't getting cheaper.

Sad that theres so much talk but no action. I would have thought that people would have ante'd up for something like this but I'm determined to get some land so I can run drills and enjoy BBQ and peace with the family. Somewhere to go away from the city.

I would just look semi close to your location, and the choose amount of land you think you will need 10 acres, 20 acres?

My thing is lets say you find this great piece of land one away hour and its 5k an acre and your getting 10 acres. So 50k, plus interest.

Or you find 20 acres 2.5 hours away for 50k the same price.

Now with either one, would it be cheaper to just join a local club for 100-200 bucks a year? How many times do people actually shoot.

The only way this works in my mind if you buy the land, and your willing to build/move and this new 10-20 acres becomes the home base, however now are you too far away from your job, that you need to pay for all this? Also building is super high right now.

I like the idea, but unless you can find 10-20 acres 15 mins from the house, I don't know how this would work for me personally. Maybe I'm looking at wrong (not trying to rain on your parade).

I don't have a job so that's not a concern for me nor is distance from anything as my business is a self-sufficient entity and I operate rental housing as a major source of income. I'm open to anything that's feasible. I just don't know where to start for a project like this. I was thinking 10 acres would be the best minimum median for me to get away with shooting on here in Georgia with a side project of having some vegetation greenhouses and a small construction on it over time.

My problem with a local club is being under rules and restrictions that are sometimes are akin to being apart of an HOA or dealing with the whims of whoever owns the land\club. I would like to be able to come and go on the land as I wish and bring family \ friends as I wish to do whatever we want. Hosting family parties; shooting events for ourselves; using our off-road vehicles; a place for me to keep my heavy equipment for storage and just a place to hang out away from the city as I mentioned.

As I said; I have fluid capital and assets to lean on to make this happen. I need actual concrete information or a direction to look or even a realtor who specializes in these things that might be apart of ODT; not peoples projections.

If there are fellow members here who are actually interested in joining such a project then great; if not I'm fine and capable to go at it alone. Not everyone can commit to these things and I understand it; but I'm someone who likes to make what I want be

As much as I would want to do this CMP is truly state of the art and only 2 hours away. Granted you can't blow up old refrigerators with tannerite or bump fire or do any trick shooting but it's only 30 bucks/visit.

Wilson Shoals is an hour away and only 20 bucks/year but only goes out to 100 yds with the same restrictions as above.

And you don't have to worry about trespassers, folks turning your land into a dump, etc, etc.

Good luck OP!

As much as I would want to do this CMP is truly state of the art and only 2 hours away. Granted you can't blow up old refrigerators with tannerite or bump fire or do any trick shooting but it's only 30 bucks/visit.

Wilson Shoals is an hour away and only 20 bucks/year but only goes out to 100 yds with the same restrictions as above.

And you don't have to worry about trespassers, folks turning your land into a dump, etc, etc.

Good luck OP!

Wilson Shoals is pretty good ; but the first part of what you've written is precisely why I'm looking for land. My problem is existing clubs\facilities aren't there for high intensity drills or trick shooting or even tannerite refrigerators like you said. Owning your own land solves all of those problems. Sitting and standing in one spot shooting for over 10 years has become stale and boring.

I bought 13.3 acres In rural Jasper co a year n a half ago . Its 2 hours from My house, I bought it cause I wanted a place to camp, cook, shoot ,hunt and get away from it all, dosent hurt that its got big deers on it either.
429154607.jpg

I bought 13.3 acres In rural Jasper co a year n a half ago . Its 2 hours from My house, I bought it cause I wanted a place to camp, cook, shoot ,hunt and get away from it all, dosent hurt that its got big deers on it either. View attachment 3179218

This is precisely the response I was looking for. PM'ed you.

Land is a lot cheaper than it was in around 2008 when he peaked. Has fell about 60% since then. In general my observations are that it is cheaper south of Atlanta than north of Atlanta. I think now is the best time to buy land since the drop since 2008. Don't think there has been that much of drop in price since maybe the '20's and early '30's based on old deeds.

Land is a lot cheaper than it was in around 2008 when he peaked. Has fell about 60% since then. In general my observations are that it is cheaper south of Atlanta than north of Atlanta. I think now is the best time to buy land since the drop since 2008. Don't think there has been that much of drop in price since maybe the '20's and early '30's based on old deeds.

Thank you. I'm going to switch my searching from North to South. This is why I'm looking to buy land now because of that trend but so far I've been getting defeatist responses from people who are attempting to make it seem like buying your own land to shoot for pleasure on is some far fetched proposition which saddens me to read.

Back
Top Bottom