• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calling all Glockophiles

And like mdog and others have pointed out in various threads about Glocks, if you're gonna get just one, I say go for the 23. There's so much you can do with that bad boy in regards to conversion. Want a 9mm? Cool, buy a barrel and a couple of mags. Want a .357? Cool, just buy a barrel and drop it in. You can basically have 3 guns at less than 1/2 the price you'd pay for 3 separate Glocks in all 3 calibers.

You buy a G19 and guess what? You're stuck with a 9mm.

Wow, and out of no where im back in this debate....

I disagree with everything youre saying about no difference in caliber. Ive been responding to gunshot wounds for 13 years now and i have personally seen how the human body reacts to every handgun caliber from .177 BB's up to .45acp and only one rifle caliber and it was .223 at point blank range...in my experience, the size of the bullet absolutely matters, along with shot placement.
the are millions of arteries in the body that, when damaged, do not allow your blood to return to the heart to complete its journey through the body. Now, with that in mind, if a larger hole is made, more arteries are damaged and more bleeding occurs...thus, faster death.
Also, on the other side of the spectrum, the small calibers such as .22 and .25 are just as lethal as a large caliber because the bullets enters the body and bounces around wildly and causes much more internal damage than a 'through and through' wound.
The larger calibers like .40 and .45 seem to cause much more severe wounds when compared to .380 and .9mm.

Now, before anyone says it again...it of course all depends on shot placement. I agree with that. But i have seen folks die from GSW's to the legs MULTIPLE times from any caliber. The femoral artery is a bad one to damage.

Of course any caliber to the head is fatal.

But i have seen more folks survive from gsw's to the torso when the weapon was a .380 or 9mm when compared to .40 or .45...and the .223 to the lower leg at point blank range was just incredible!

Just my experiences from working in the metro atl area my entire career. Im not stating anything ive read by others. Im sure other ems professionals can chime in with their own experiences, but these are mine. And these reasons are why i carry .45acp.

.357 is pretty impressive to see as well...

I am not a doctor, just a ditch doctor.

No one will doubt your experiance in that they all do damage. How do you qualify one round over another?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

A must read. I also have been dealing with GSW calls for service and seen it in action as well. MOF the majority I have run across have been terminal .22 wounds. Bigger is NOT better, and there is no data to support as such when it comes to pistol rounds. There is however data taken from actual shootings on real people, not ballistic gelatin and metal plates that supports what I have been saying all along as well as many others. Sorry sir, you're mistaken on that account. Rifle rounds, as stated before are a whole differant deal all together.

The 30's are really accurate. Old research suggested that it had something to do with the rifling being a little different. Massad Ayoob had one that he shot a 5-shot cloverleaf with shooting off a barricade around 10-15 years ago.
Of course most guns are more accurate than the shooters anyway.
Leatherhead obviously has great confidence in the .45. His decision seems to be based on his personal experiences so I say with respect, more power to him. I like the .45 just fine. I just don't feel there's that much of a difference w/ modern ammo. And when I say ,"Bigger is better, but not by much." what I mean is that the 45 bullet is just a few millimeters larger so it creates a very slightly larger hole, expanded or not.
After 26 years of research beginning right around the time that the Miami/FBI shootout happened & the great ammo design race began, I have to agree with noted authorities like M. Ayoob that bullet design & placement are much more important than caliber.
But each person has to make that decision for themselves.

No one will doubt your experiance in that they all do damage. How do you qualify one round over another?

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

A must read. I also have been dealing with GSW calls for service and seen it in action as well. MOF the majority I have run across have been terminal .22 wounds. Bigger is NOT better, and there is no data to support as such when it comes to pistol rounds. There is however data taken from actual shootings on real people, not ballistic gelatin and metal plates that supports what I have been saying all along as well as many others. Sorry sir, you're mistaken on that account. Rifle rounds, as stated before are a whole differant deal all together.

Awesome read! Very interesting stats! Thanks for the link brother!

"Of course any caliber to the head is fatal."
Not picking at you "Leatherhead" but this is not the case at all either.
I have seen several pictures of police shootings where the bullet hit the skull of the subject & skidded around to the rear where it exited.
Hardball of any caliber seem more susceptible but even hollowpoints do it.
That's why most knowledgeable firearms trainers, schools, & even the SQT-A1 targets used in many state & local shooting qualifications put such an emphasis on keeping hits inside the "ocular cavity" where the natural holes in a humans skull act as a funnel to direct the bullet to the brain.
The reason that I mention this is not to be critical, just tp point out that bullets don't always act as expected.

there are too many variables than can effect a bullet. yes a .45 will "leave a bigger hole" but a bigger hole may or may not matter. as others have said shot placement is king, a .22 round throug the heart or into a lung with F you up. but a .45 into the meat of the thigh or arm of a guy one an eightball of coke wont do much; ultimately accuracy is king. I prefer 9mm because I like as many rounds at my disposal as possible and my wife is more accurate with 9mm which means if inncapacitated she can use my M&P9c to defend both of us.

People react differently to different types of trauma. Ive seen folks shot multiple times from .40 still fighting and people hit by a baseball to the head die instantly. with the variations on what happens to different people i like having as many rounds to put in them as possible. the whole "shoot till the threat is gone" mentality, ill empty 15 rounds from a G19 in them and be happier than 8 or whatever from a glock .45 compact. alot of little holes (9mm) in my opinion is better than less big holes.

leatherhead where do you work? you can PM me if you dont want to post on here. im down at Grady EMS

The G17 is the most comfortable of the 9MM Glocks for me. The G26 is the easiest to conceal. I split the difference with a G19 gen 3 and love it. Very comfortable, no problem to CCW in some decent leather and I do so on a daily basis. I vote G19 if this is to be your EDC. See if you can shoot each and decide from there which will fit your specific needs. Good luck, and let us know when you officially convert.

"Of course any caliber to the head is fatal."
Not picking at you "Leatherhead" but this is not the case at all either.
I have seen several pictures of police shootings where the bullet hit the skull of the subject & skidded around to the rear where it exited.
Hardball of any caliber seem more susceptible but even hollowpoints do it.
That's why most knowledgeable firearms trainers, schools, & even the SQT-A1 targets used in many state & local shooting qualifications put such an emphasis on keeping hits inside the "ocular cavity" where the natural holes in a humans skull act as a funnel to direct the bullet to the brain.

Like putting your fingers in a bowling ball...it REALLY helps to use the pre-existing holes! ;)

Gen2 19 for me with Trijicon HD's in a Crossbreed Supertuck on a Blackhawk Instructors Belt.. By far the best CCW setup I have ever used.. Daily carry is very comfortable for me with this setup..

Back
Top Bottom