• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Camping recipes?

in scouts the two we would always do were A. hobo meals which was just take everything throw it in some aluminum foil wrap it up tight and throw it on the fire for awhile, it will keep all the juices in and is amazing, normally use chicken or steak with whatever fruit or veggies you want. Second was brown bears, take some canned biscuts and stretch and wrap them around a wooden dowel rod cook over a fire until golden then cover in melted butter and brown sugar and cinnamon

We still do this but call it Silver Turtles. Really tasty and easy.

Thanks everyone. I like all of the suggestions.
Someone gave me an idea of slicing some steak and cooking that on a stick, then wrap in a crescent roll and wave that around the fire for a few minutes and then eat it off the stick. might try that and some bacon wrapped something. Also got some just add water pancake mix to make some stuff as well.

My son was tasked with being grub master, my wife bought most of the food, and I am driving him to camp. I guess he is good at delegating authority.
All joking aside, I love camping and any time I can go, I like to try different camping foods.

If you are going to use a dutch oven, use a liner...especially with cobblers. You will appreciate it later.

It's hard not to have food taste good cooked in a dutch oven.
Leg quarters, corn on the cob, potatoes, onions, little water, Tony Chachere's (or your seasoning of choice). Cook some rice if you want to enjoy the 'gravy' more. Almost impossible to mess up. As my picky eater son says "THIS is the best way to cook chicken."

One of many recipes I cook when my wife and I are camping is what I call "Pork n bean casserole".
Brown 1 lb ground chuck per every 2 cans of pork n beans you are going to use. Season to suit your taste.
Strain your ground chuck and mix in with pork n beans.
Add Worcestershire sauce ( I do 2 tablespoons per pound of ground chuck), yellow mustard and stir thoroughly. Add mustard until you begin to taste the mustard flavor.
Salt and pepper to taste.
I also add but not necessary, ground red cayenne pepper and a good bit of red habanero sauce for heat. Cook in open pot at med heat until good and hot. Stir often.
This goes great with fried potatoes on the grill or open fire. ( dice taters, and wrap in aluminum foil, season and add butter). Cook until fork goes through them easy. Best and easier if you do "portion size" wraps of taters.

Back
Top Bottom