• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can an 18 have his fathers gun in car loaded?

A 18 year old can carry his fathers gun loaded in his car

• Total voters

Mr.Mazzeo

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
Hello I’m 18 and I just picked out a nice 380 ez for my father and we already have a 9mm for the home.Can I legally have the 380 in the car with me loaded , not loaded how does it work.i understand that at 18 I can buy a pistol privately but not through a FFL which is funny to me

Yes you can. Vehicle is an extension of your home.

Your vehicle is not an extension of your home, no matter how many times it gets repeated on the internet.

In Georgia, an 18 year old can carry a pistol in his automobile, which in every day terms, means an automobile he is operating. Presuming he is not otherwise disqualified from owning the firearm. Whether or not it is loaded is irrelevant.. Whether or not it is concealed is irrelevant.

If you are a passenger and under 21, you cannot possess a handgun in the automobile. Again, loaded or unloaded is irrelevant. The reason is rather convoluted. Any passenger can carry a handgun if he is eligible for a GWL, at 18 you are not eligible unless you are in the military. So that's a "gotcha".

The ownership of the gun is irrelevant, provided you have permission to possess it.

This situation can lead to some tricky situations. Say you go to a friend's house with your legally carried pistol in your car. You cannot take it from the automobile to the house without a GWL, which of course you don't have.

Same thing if you take a road trip, and need to stay in a motel.

OTOH you can carry a pistol while hunting, fishing, or target shooting without a GWL (make sure to read the rules on doing these if they are an option), so if you are where you are going to engage in these activities, you should be good to go.

As a footnote, I will tell you that there are many LEO on the streets right now who do not know the law about handguns, automobiles, and 18 years olds. if you carry a handgun in an automobile be prepared to be hassled. While you have the right to carry it on your person while in the automobile, i cannot recommend that you do so.

As another footnote, even in a car, there may be places you can't park without a GWL, schools and churches come to mind. I haven't looked at this laws in this context but it could be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom