• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can an 18 have his fathers gun in car loaded?

A 18 year old can carry his fathers gun loaded in his car

• Total voters
Panties are all wadded now, ain't they?

O.C.G.A. 16-3-23.1: A person who uses threats or force in accordance with Code Section 16-3-21, relating to the use of force in defense of self or others, Code Section 16-3-23, relating to the use of force in defense of a habitation, or Code Section 16-3-24, relating to the use of force in defense of property other than a habitation, has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use force as provided in said Code sections, including deadly force.

AND

O.C.G.A. 16-3-24.1 As used in Code Sections 16-3-23 and 16-3-24, the term “habitation” means any dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business, and “personal property” means personal property other than a motor vehicle.

Georgia Summary: In Georgia, one's vehicle qualifies as a habitation and so for the purposes of using or threatening to use force the same criteria apply and thus one might say in Georgia that your vehicle is an extension of your home and correctly communicate that you can defend your vehicle under the same circumstances and in the same way as your home.​

Not that this "extension of home" directly deals with carrying in his/her OWN PERSONAL CAR, but it better defines the title of defense under the same circumstances AND in the same way as your home, which is where the whole "extension of home" argument arises!!

I always advise local people to get their legal advise from a holy roller in Colorado, with a degree from a junior college in "entrepreneurship ".

Jacob S. Paulsen
@jacobspaulsen
President http://ConcealedCarry.com . Public Affairs Representative of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Teacher, Beekeeper, and Entrepreneur.

Utah Valley University

Degree NameAssociate of Science (A.S.)

Field Of StudyUniversity Studies

Dates attended or expected graduation2005 – 2008

Pursued a business degree with an emphasis in entrepreneurship. Finished the Associate degree but didn't continue my formal education.

Whatever floats your boat.

I did this for years from 18-21. Many ODT members even sold me pistols with their consent and knowledge of my age when I was 18-21; which is legal. I have been pulled over with them and (by my choice of course) make sure to let johnny lawman know what I got and where it's at. Never had a problem. 18 to posess a firearm in GA private sale.
That’s exactly what I thought, I know that at 18 you can privately buy a handgun from someone but not a ffl. Thank you for the reply

Cop here. 18 year old driving his car is good to go. Carry it anywhere you like in the car. And don’t unload it. Unloaded guns are no better than a rock. Be polite and let the cop know if you’re stopped so he doesn’t get all nervous if he sees it later in the stop. I train police officers and this is taught to new cops regularly. If one is confused be nice and polite and confidently explain that the law states that you can and ask him to get some clarification before he does anything. I stand behind this with my own name as my user name.

Damn shame Uncle Sam let's 18 year olds carry loaded weapons around but here in the land of the free it's a hand wringing, red flag incident.
With all the shootings going and crazy people in the world I don’t think it’s a shame I think it’s logical buddy

Cop here. 18 year old driving his car is good to go. Carry it anywhere you like in the car. And don’t unload it. Unloaded guns are no better than a rock. Be polite and let the cop know if you’re stopped so he doesn’t get all nervous if he sees it later in the stop. I train police officers and this is taught to new cops regularly. If one is confused be nice and polite and confidently explain that the law states that you can and ask him to get some clarification before he does anything. I stand behind this with my own name as my user name.
Thank you for such a straight forward answer

Yes.

An 18 year old can carry a handgun anywhere in his home, shoot it if otherwise legally allowed, and so on.

An 18 year old passenger in an automobile can do none of these things.

An 18 year old is free to walk around at least his curtilege with a handgun, an 18 year old legally possessing a handgun in an automobile cannot take it out of the automobile except under very narrow circumstances.

Probably others, but that's the first ones that come to mind.
An 18 riding as a passenger in his own automobile can't carry? That doesn't make sense.

An 18 riding as a passenger in his own automobile can't carry? That doesn't make sense.

You have added another element.

If he is a passenger in his own vehicle he can possess a handgun.

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

The law still doesn't make sense though

Back
Top Bottom