Can we come to some sort of mutual agreement on this?

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
Folks, I know how the ODT is when it comes to cops in the media. I'm no cop worshipper and I have had negative encounters with Leos enough for me to get irritated at times. But Seriously why is it that everytime someone finds a video or an article of a LEO screwing up we have to post it here? It's almost daily where we see an officer violating someones rights or showing complete abuse of Power. But let me ask you a question. Where's the videos that show where a LEO put a rapist behind bars, saved a citizens life, or committed a heroic act? Hardly ever, but these men and women do it.

We had the same issue years back as "anti war" propoganda where the news constantly played videos of soldiers beating dogs and Iraqi civilians. How would you feel if I constantly posted videos of negative actions done by our defending forces???

I support our soldiers in what they do. However I have to say that honestly they are NOT defending OUR country. Our country is not under attack by foreign militaries. Besides a couple infamous days, in the last 20 years when did a foreign military launch a war on US soldier bombing thousands and thousands of americans? It was terrorists that hit us, not a military. Do you know who the guys are that have been defending our freedom in the United states? The police. They may not have fought for it, but they are the ones who devote themselves daily to making sure we can enjoy our freedoms our forefathers fought for. They're the ones that take the bad guys off the streets so we can sleep in peace at night, the ones that patrol the malls we go to, the guys who make sure your kids are safe in school, who willingly put themselves in the line of fire directly for the american people. As much as I support the selfless acts of our soldiers, they dont fight for our freedom anymore. Why do you guys carry guns? It isn't because the Iraqi's are trying to take over america, it's because the evil men in this country are out to take away our enjoyment of freedom. They steal the commodities we obtain through our capitolist society, they rape the women we treasure dearly, they murder our friends we've known forever...And when they do the front line of defense are the selfless Leos who are underpaid and overworked. You see a soldier in public and tell him thank you for his services to our country....What the **** did he do for america? honestly? No I'm not bashing our Troops so don't take that offensively. Our troops aren't providing a service to america, right now they're providing a service to the Iraqi people....How does that benefit america? But when was the last time you saw a cop, be it a traffic stop where you got a ticket or browsing walmart and told him thank you for his services to the country? He's the one that's been protecting your freedoms, sure there are a few cops that screw up, but the way yall post these articles its like the majority of leos are assholes that trample our civil liberties.

I'm sure this is gonna cause me to get flamed, could possibly land me on a couple do not deal with lists, but I just have to get that off my chest. Once again if I have offended anyone, be it an American soldier or civilian, understand that I am grateful for your services and selfless acts, and I know you'd be willing to defend our freedoms...but right now our freedoms arent under attack from foreign diplomats they're under attack from local thugs and punks, and it's the LEOS who protect us from these guys.

I agree with most of what you've said because my Dad was a LEO, but my youngest Son is in the military. He may not in your opinion be defending our country, but he is defending our freedoms and way of life. Thanks for posting this though. I also wish some folks would try to find some better stuff to post about LEOs than all bad stuff, there are countless numbers of GOOD LEOs putting their lives on the line everyday and helping people instead of violating peoples rights. It only takes a few bad cops to make them all look bad. Throughout my life I've known a lot, and I mean a lot of LEOs and only a very few turned out to be bad cops. My great uncle was the Chief Juvenile Officer in Newnan for many, many years and when I moved to Newnan nearly everyone I met had some kind of run in with him but not one single person ever said he was anything but fair and professional in their dealings with him, even the ones he had to lock up. My Dad was very much like my uncle too, everyone always said he was a kind and fair man. He was the coolest Dad I could have ever wanted too. I grew up in the 70's and was a long haired redneck country boy and he was always there for me and never treated me bad or even made me get my hair cut, he did offer me $1000 once to cut it but I was too stubborn to cut it. He just laughed about it.

I agree with most of what you've said because my Dad was a LEO, but my youngest Son is in the military. He may not in your opinion be defending our country, but he is defending our freedoms and way of life. .

As I said before, I support our troops in what they do, and would like to thank your son for what he does, but the biggest point of what I wanted to say is that too many people forget our "Frontline" heroes..IT's not just the Leos, It's the firemen, emt, and other emergency aid departments that defend our ability to enjoy our freedom. Our soldiers can fight for our freedom all they want, but if there's nobody to protect the citizens of this country from the perrils of those who try to endanger our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

I disagree with your opinion about the mission of our military, it's more complicated than that. But I get your point and could not agree more with your thoughts on LEO. I am former military and have never been a cop, but I recognized a long time ago just what a tough and mostly thankless job they do. At one time I considered becoming LEO and chose not to because I did not want to deal with the worst of our society on a daily basis for the rest of my working life. That takes a level of grit that I don't have. Let's not forget about the Fire Fighters out there. That just takes raw courage. I thought about become that also, but frankly, fire just scares the crap out of me. I'd rather have people shooting at me. I've been on fire once (just a little) and never want to be again.

Can LEOs be a little edgy? You bet! It's a necessary survival skill.

Whatever the profession is, you can find a$$ holes doing it. Everyone needs to get over the rare exception that a bad LEO represents and stop condemning a truly noble profession.

Last edited:
I agree that cops are probably the most under-appreciated profession out there. Last fall I ate at a Waffle House with my daughter after a morning hunt and a LEO was at the high counter having breakfast. When we finished I thanked him for his service to the community, got his tab from the waitress and paid for his breakfast.

Cops are crooks too or can be. They are human and although ive never had an encounter short of citation too many are thugs with out an arrest record. This is proven daily, personally, i believe many get on an ego trip probably from being pushed around as kid or as it has been published recently from "steriods". Im glad this info is published, may it will force dept to scrutinize applicants.

As far as war goes, the soldiers are doing what they are paid to do and many are in service because its the only job they can find. I agree with invading Afghanistan long enough to find obsama, now that thats done, come home. Iraq should have never happened as with Libya. These are futile expenditures at the tune of 300b yr.

Last edited:
I have respect for LEO's and military personnel that put their lives on the line everyday for peanuts. I have family that are LEO's and my father was in the military. I would have joined the military if a car wreck wouldn't have ruined it for me.

It all goes back to the saying " Do good and noone notices, but f*** up and you will never hear the end of it."

Can we just agree that there are a few horrible people in any position of authority? Recognize those who deserve recognition, and bring hell upon those who deserve hell brought upon them. Easy as that.

Cops are crooks too or can be. They are human and although ive never had an encounter short of citation too many are thugs with out an arrest record. This is proven daily, personally, i believe many get on an ego trip probably from being pushed around as kid or as it has been published recently from "steriods". Im glad this info is published, may it will force dept to scrutinize applicants.

As far as war goes, the soldiers are doing what they are paid to do and many are in service because its the only job they can find. I agree with invading Afghanistan long enough to find obsama, now that thats done, come home. Iraq should have never happened as with Lybia. These are futile expenditures at the tune of 300b yr.

I'm not going to address your opinion of the war. That's not what this thread is about.

As of 2006 there were 800,000 LEO in the U. S. In 2007 186 were killed in the line of duty. The number of instances of LEO that abuse their power is insignificant compared to these numbers. Do you think you could create an organization that would do better?

Back
Top Bottom