Can we come to some sort of mutual agreement on this?

Excuse me sir, but, i believe the OP mentioned the war.
I sympathize with their deaths to their families. But, id bet the farm there are far more abuses of power than police deaths. I wonder how many of the innocent public have been killed by them. I see them scream by me on the way to work just to park 2 miles up the road to meet up with another cop, some of this behavior ends up in their deaths or the public.
I never said police depts werent needed, someone has to make the arrest or vigilante justice will prevail. I think dept should screen applicants better and consider personalities or illnesses. A person in a powerful position over the public shouldnt be given to just anyone. I also believe the cop in Canton is a perfect example of one that should be fired, he has no respect for public, just his power trip.

i also think some folks just hate authority figures. always trying to show THE MAN is out to get you. most leo are good people. i'm more worried about our politicians than leo.

Excuse me sir, but, i believe the OP mentioned the war.
I sympathize with their deaths to their families. But, id bet the farm there are far more abuses of power than police deaths. I wonder how many of the innocent public have been killed by them. I see them scream by me on the way to work just to park 2 miles up the road to meet up with another cop, some of this behavior ends up in their deaths or the public.
I never said police depts werent needed, someone has to make the arrest or vigilante justice will prevail. I think dept should screen applicants better and consider personalities or illnesses. A person in a powerful position over the public shouldnt be given to just anyone. I also believe the cop in Canton is a perfect example of one that should be fired, he has no respect for public, just his power trip.

The OP also pointed out that the military mission was not the primary subject...twice. Do you have any idea what the screening process is for LE? It's extensive to say the least. It's not perfect, but it's not bad. I'll ask again, do you think you could do better?

No i have no idea, Ive never wanted to be one, but judging from the papers it needs to be improved. I know several cops and two dont have the personality to be one. One is bipolar and doesnt always take his meds, another, bar hops & flaunts his authority out of uniform both over 40. I dont hate cops or anyone/thing in general, i wave to them in passing. I told young cop yesterday as i passed by him "good job" because of the way he handled the traffic. He thanked me.

I respected authority for 26 yrs in AF.

Ii think some folks refuse to admit the obvious, they usually get elected. But, i do agree, longterm, politicans are our worst enemies.

Last edited:
I'm not going to address your opinion of the war. That's not what this thread is about.

As of 2006 there were 800,000 LEO in the U. S. In 2007 186 were killed in the line of duty. The number of instances of LEO that abuse their power is insignificant compared to these numbers. Do you think you could create an organization that would do better?
I started to answer this comment too bear, but O Steve would not have liked it, so I woild say if he ever needs help call a hippie or a muslim. One would share his "tote" and the other would not help him.

I started to answer this comment too bear, but O Steve would not have liked it, so I woild say if he ever needs help call a hippie or a muslim. One would share his "tote" and the other would not help him.

Is this all you got? PM me then. But Read my posts first....
Normally. id enjoy beating a dead horse, but my GKs are coming over and I need to cut the grass. Rattlesnakes are beginning to mate.. yall have a good weekend

Back to the original post...I think the reason you see all the mistakes and errors in judgement posted everywhere is simple: You will always hear about the bad things. No one cares enough to report the good things. Just like looking at the reviews for a store/restaurant...you'll hear if it is bad...you might not is it is good.

Ok, first of all, don't get hung up on Iraq. No, the war in Iraq had nothing to do with eliminating a direct threat to the United States. But everyone seems to forget about Afghanistan. We are fighting in Afghanistan because there is a direct threat to American lives there. It may not be a conventional national army, but make no mistake, the Taliban and Al Qaeda are effective, organized, and deadly forces who wants nothing more than to destroy every single American. No, Soldiers in Iraq are not fighting for your freedom so much as they are fighting for the Iraqi people's freedom. But the sole purpose of the war in Afghanistan is to eliminate a legitimate force's ability to harm Americans.

Now that that's out of the way, I love this thread! LEO's get little to no credit for the work they do. Sure, Soldiers deploy to dangerous areas where they are in constant danger for a year or maybe 18 months at a time. But then they get a break when they come back to the States to get refit before deploying again. Cops are in dangerous areas where they are in constant danger every day!
Sure, I've been pulled over and harassed a few times. And we've all seen the videos of the "famous few" who tarnish our LEO's reputations. However, I am glad that the videos and stories of the abusive LEO's get published so those individuals are forced to be held responsible for their actions.

I do agree, though, that more videos and stories need to be published of the heroic deeds of the LEO's that are doing the right thing. That's the kind of example I want my kids to see, not some jerk on an ego trip.

Back
Top Bottom