• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Carry ammo question

The latest generation of machined ammunition is superior to jhp/jsp/ball ammo

This is an example of a round designed to break apart and create separate wound channels. There are several in this category from different manufacturers. The 9mm round is not a big boy caliber and there are some interesting stories about it failing to penetrate. I know the 9mm is awesome through a 16 inch barrel and its fun to have a dozen stacked up ready to go in the magazine. But lets face it, it's not a 45. This type of ammunition creates as much damage as a 45 would.

Practice all day long with cheap rounds to punch paper. I wouldn't care if they were $10 ea round if they are a force multiplier when they hit.
Don't bother. This gimmick does not meet minimum FBI specifications.

I'm sure this has been covered but I thought I'd post anyway.

What is your preferred 9mm carry ammo and why? I'd like to keep it specifically to 9mm because that is what I carry. I currently carry Hornady Critical Duty but was interested to see if there is a reason I should switch. Feel free to post any links that are relevant. Thanks in advance for any advice given.
So I used to carry Critical Duty +p, I think it was 124 or something. I know this will never happen again, but after a year of carrying the same ammo I had 3 rounds not ignite in my carry mag. After that, I switched to Federal HST 147 +p. It's cheaper and a better round. I'm pretty sure it was just a box of bad lot of ammo but I've had a lot older ammo fire reliably. I'm not sure if the Critical Duty's have sealed primers or what, but it just let me with a bad feeling. Now I put fresh HST's in every 3-5 months or so.

Don't bother. This gimmick does not meet minimum FBI specifications.
The question was what ammunition would you carry in a 9mm. The 9mm is a marginal round. It doesn't have the displacement or the velocity of a big boy round. The 10mm round was developed after studying all the calibers and the ballistics.
The new individually machined projectiles have a chance to do the kind of wound channels that a big boy round can do.

I am not familiar with this FBI report. I carry a 45, because, in my book, there's no replacement for displacement.

Hornady Critical Defense is what I use, the Gwinnett PD uses Critical Duty.

Yes ,and next budget year when the bids are put out for duty ammo they may carry any approved ammunition, approved could be any criteria that is established by the municipality leaders. but normally associated with FBI standards.
generally the need for police performance and civilian self defense performance are not the same.
but use what ever youse guys think is best in your guns.

64803986.jpg

The question was what ammunition would you carry in a 9mm. The 9mm is a marginal round. It doesn't have the displacement or the velocity of a big boy round. The 10mm round was developed after studying all the calibers and the ballistics.
The new individually machined projectiles have a chance to do the kind of wound channels that a big boy round can do.
I am not familiar with this FBI report. I carry a 45, because, in my book, there's no replacement for displacement.
I never got into the 9mm. Not when there is a one and done gun out there. I have a 10mm and a 45acp. So I am not worried about the best round when all of them will cut you half so to speak.
As far what round is better I would go with any one of the major manufactures in a HP with a heavy projectile. Like people have said there is no magical 9mm round that's going to do any more than any other HP round. +P is good if your gun is rated to handle it. Federal, Winchester, Hornady all make great self defense rounds. Just try them all to see what your gun likes. I wouldn't rely on ballistic gel results to much. It doesn't have clothes and bones to go through. Any round that hits bone is going to expand and do what it's suppose to do. Check out these test results with different loads.https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/02/10/5-best-9mm-self-defense-loads/

Back
Top Bottom