• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry ammo question

I'll carry just about any modern hollow point.
The old style HP's had a much thicker copper jacket that needed more velocity to open up, but any new design in the last 25 years should open up at normal short-barreled carry pistol velocities.

I agree except the SIG brand HP's 9mm ammo are complete crap and should be Range Use Only. Great price and fancy packaging though

APFSDS

Or....

image.jpeg

The latest generation of machined ammunition is superior to jhp/jsp/ball ammo

This is an example of a round designed to break apart and create separate wound channels. There are several in this category from different manufacturers. The 9mm round is not a big boy caliber and there are some interesting stories about it failing to penetrate. I know the 9mm is awesome through a 16 inch barrel and its fun to have a dozen stacked up ready to go in the magazine. But lets face it, it's not a 45. This type of ammunition creates as much damage as a 45 would.

Practice all day long with cheap rounds to punch paper. I wouldn't care if they were $10 ea round if they are a force multiplier when they hit.

The latest generation of machined ammunition is superior to jhp/jsp/ball ammo

This is an example of a round designed to break apart and create separate wound channels. There are several in this category from different manufacturers. The 9mm round is not a big boy caliber and there are some interesting stories about it failing to penetrate. I know the 9mm is awesome through a 16 inch barrel and its fun to have a dozen stacked up ready to go in the magazine. But lets face it, it's not a 45. This type of ammunition creates as much damage as a 45 would.

Practice all day long with cheap rounds to punch paper. I wouldn't care if they were $10 ea round if they force multiply when they hit.

I'd like to see what that stuff does to a feed ramp after a few hundred rounds.

Most modern hollow points are good. I would try a few different brands to see which is the most accurate in your gun.
For example, I carry Hornady Critical Defense 165gr in my Glock 22 because that is what shoots the tightest groups at 25 yds. In my Glock 27 good old fashioned Federal Hydra Shock 165gr is the most accurate.

My preferred 9mm carry ammo is 124-147gr Federal HST +P. If not available, 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P.

Defensive ammo is a highly debated topic. Real science helps to negate fallacious claims and inflammatory advertising. A great resource is http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/ were baseline comparisons are made to time tested bullet designs (Speer Gold Dot, etc.) with proven track records. You can find 9mm hornady critical duty there.

Keep in mind the following when looking at the compared data:

BALLISTIC GEL - Gel is not an adequate representation of human tissue, particularly the human body as a whole. What it does provide is a calibratable baseline for comparison purposes of projectile performance. Properly calibrated pork based ballistic gel simulates internal organ tissue (e.g. human liver).

PENETRATION - This measurement is very important (insert immature joke here). With the above in mind remember that shallow penetrating projectiles will perform even worse in anything other than gel, including the human body.

EXPANSION - This measurement indicates wounding potential via permanent wound cavity. This is the reliable method of incapacitation via a handgun projectile.

BONDING - Available as a mechanical lock or chemical adhesion of the jacket and core. Mostly a concern for LE consumers routinely encountering windshield or window glass intermediate barrier. Jacket separation can negate any performance potential a complete projectile would provide.

I prefer a fast moving +P bullet that meets the minimum FBI penetration requirements, in the heaviest weight available.

Lots of good info there at luckygunner! Somehow, I did not know that was there, thank you!

Thanks for all the posts guys. I'm will definitely check out the link to lucky gunner. I was thinking of switching to federal hst because I had read good things about it.

As far 45 goes, I've definitely been thinking about picking one up for carry. I have too much going on right now though, so I need to work with what I have for now. Life happens I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom