• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying on an empty chamber?

Do you carry on an empty chamber?

• Total voters
So I was at a local gun store today and a young man had came in and had just bought a new P320 X-Five Legion. He was getting a Sig Romeo installed and the question was asked if he planned on carrying the firearm. The guy said no because it didn't have a safety; which I can understand, but personally don't care for a manual safety on a handgun for concealed carry. You should keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan on pulling it.

He then stated that it was also too big and had a Sig compact style 1911 in 9mm. However, in this conversation he stated that he had friends who carried handguns without manual safeties and accidentally shot themselves putting the handgun back into a holster. He stated that they were catching the trigger on something and shooting off a round. Which tells me they lack proper handling of their firearms and maybe shouldn't be carrying one at all.

This lead to him saying that he never carried his Sig with a round in the chamber, and also the safety on and the hammer down; and for the the life of me I CANNOT understand why anyone would carry on a empty chamber. Or in the manner this kid stated he carried his Sig in. Since being at this store I have seen numerous people who will not carry with a round in the chamber or advocate carrying without a round in the chamber.

I tried explaining the stupidity of carrying on a empty chamber but he stated that he thought he would be mindful enough to know when he would need to chamber a round, and have enough time to do so. That like saying I'm not going to wear a seatbelt because I'll know when to put one on before an accident occurs.

So I'm curious who in their right might carrys on a empty chamber? Because those few seconds could me the difference between life and death. Can anyone give me a good reason to carry your personal defense handgun on a empty chamber?

But I shouldn't be surprised by this kid, he was carrying a $4,600 purse with his AR pistol broken down into the upper and lower because it would fit. Because when **** hits the fan the bad guys going to wait till you put your rifle together before he shoots you!!!
So I was at a local gun store today and a young man had came in and had just bought a new P320 X-Five Legion. He was getting a Sig Romeo installed and the question was asked if he planned on carrying the firearm. The guy said no because it didn't have a safety; which I can understand, but personally don't care for a manual safety on a handgun for concealed carry. You should keep your finger off the trigger unless you plan on pulling it.

He then stated that it was also too big and had a Sig compact style 1911 in 9mm. However, in this conversation he stated that he had friends who carried handguns without manual safeties and accidentally shot themselves putting the handgun back into a holster. He stated that they were catching the trigger on something and shooting off a round. Which tells me they lack proper handling of their firearms and maybe shouldn't be carrying one at all.

This lead to him saying that he never carried his Sig with a round in the chamber, and also the safety on and the hammer down; and for the the life of me I CANNOT understand why anyone would carry on a empty chamber. Or in the manner this kid stated he carried his Sig in. Since being at this store I have seen numerous people who will not carry with a round in the chamber or advocate carrying without a round in the chamber.

I tried explaining the stupidity of carrying on a empty chamber but he stated that he thought he would be mindful enough to know when he would need to chamber a round, and have enough time to do so. That like saying I'm not going to wear a seatbelt because I'll know when to put one on before an accident occurs.

So I'm curious who in their right might carrys on a empty chamber? Because those few seconds could me the difference between life and death. Can anyone give me a good reason to carry your personal defense handgun on a empty chamber?

But I shouldn't be surprised by this kid, he was carrying a $4,600 purse with his AR pistol broken down into the upper and lower because it would fit. Because when **** hits the fan the bad guys going to wait till you put your rifle together before he shoots you!!!
Doesn't matter if your jet li
jet+li+disarm.gif

I would never handicap myself by not carrying one in the chamber and by adding a step to make ready a life saving tool. I've never taken a pistol class where it was advocated to not carry with one chambered. If your self defense strategy relies on situational awareness to be able to draw and make ready instead of avoiding conflict or dealing with a threat, you are already a victim waiting on the situation. We should be training to be able to beat ourselves at bare minimum.

Back
Top Bottom