• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

case bulge on .45acp

The poster states that he is using the Lee 4 die set, which has the factory crimp die, he also says he is using XTP and FMJ, not cast/lead projectiles.
now I occasionally have a slight bulge where the end of the projectile is in the case, that's from either a slightly oversize projectile or slightly under size case, but not on one side.
also the standard resizing die will leave a slight mark around the base of the case as it will not fully reduce case size due to the shell holder but again that's not on one side.
The Lee crimp die, sizing die resizes to the SAAMI recommendations and they chamber/ function perfectly in my weapons.
be interesting to see what you guys come up with.

Hey buddy things have been busy, iv had alot of questions for you but have been so busy w 80 hr work weeks and our family issues. I'm trying to get these pics uploaded
Yea Eric I'd like to see a picture too!
I've never had this happen with the same equipment on the same caliber, so I'm really interested....

I'm thinking, if there's nothing in the seating die causing it to push at an angle, maybe you just have a bad die.
I guess it's possible? I'd be tempted to pull that die and unscrew it to eyeball it for uniformity....

You know I have the same equipment and I've reloaded a host of different calibers, but I've never seen a case with a bulge in it .....

If you are getting a case bulge on a 45 acp something is wrong. Stop shooting the gun because the case isn't being supported properly in the barrel. Did someone do some feed ramp work on the gun?

Looks fine. You might be able to screw the die down a tad more and it will size a bit more of the base. Take your shell plate to the top of the stroke and screw your die down until it kisses the plate, then back it off 1/8-1/4 of a turn. That's about as good as it gets.

Lee makes a bulge buster die used with the taper crimp die that will force the round through the die to truly full length size the die.

It's $17. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882261/lee-bulge-buster-base-sizing-kit-380-auto-40-s-and-w-45-acp

Back
Top Bottom