• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

case bulge on .45acp

It looks good to me to Eric. I'm not seeing what I was expecting.

I do see where the bullet ends in the brass, but I'd be ok with it, especially because you have the 4 die set and if it went in and out of that 4th die it's going to fit in the chamber for sure.

I'd choot it, lol!

If they reliably "plop" into a clean barrel, and you can easily turn them, you are good. Compare "plunk" and twist to a commercial round. One of your "problem" loads should drop in, and the case head stop at the same depth as a commercial round, and both should easily turn with finger twist pressure.

(I do mean with the barrel OUT of the gun you understand!) And a clean chamber/barrel.

.45 ACP is very, very forgiving. Your pictures do not look like a problem to me.

I might be asking a stupid question. But you are using .45ACP dies right? there are a bunch of .45 dies, .45 colt, .45 ACP, .45 GAP..

I don't mean any offense to you or anything and from the sounds of the thread your bulge is normal, just making sure you are sizing the case to the right size. You find a lot of questionable things and people on the internet and you never know.. like the guy that put a drink bottle of nos in his GSXR

There are several things that will cause you reloaded round not to look like a factory round.
First is your sizing die. The typical aftermarket, RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Dillon, Redding and all others are made to size the brass slightly smaller than the original factory specs.
Second is the Brass. Not all brass is created equal. The case wall can be slightly thicker on some than on others. Some of this is manufacture related and some is simply a variance from one lot to the next. As long as they fall within the manufacturers specs they go out the door.
Third could be the seating depth. I have noticed that this issue happens when I seat some bullets deeper in the case. This especially happens when I am reloading 147 9mm. However, I also see it when reloading 115gr but to a much lesser degree.
None of these are of any real concern. All are just cosmetic and have no bearing on the function of the round.

Back
Top Bottom