• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

caution you are being recorded

No offense to you but I'm tired of the government making their way into my business and then proceed to tell me it's for my own good...

None taken, seriously.

BUT, back in the " cowboy days" of Police work, cops could and would do whatever they liked, good and bad. Those days are gone. Departments really do try and remove bad apples QUICK. These departments can't afford the litigation cost and settlements for misconduct.

That microphone protects me from some frivolous internal investigation where you claimed I was racsist and assaulted you during an arrest......and it protects you from me actually being that way, it works both ways.

Every single day people walk into Police Departments mad about a ticket and they will completely lie about the encounter in some twisted attempt to discredit the officer and/or have the citation removed. A quick review of the tape can clear that up in minutes rather than Some lengthy and costly investigation.

I agree but dash cams and body packs are marketed and sold for the purpose of protecting the officer and to further present evidence in any case. As far a protecting the citizen its questionable because body packs are switchable on and off by the officer. Now if you can cut it on and off but joe blow can't it doesn't seem very likely its going to protect him.

I wear on on my shirt every day! For MY protection !

It has saved my A@@ more than once. I treat people like I would want my family to be treated. I don't show my A@@ nor mistreat people. But that being said, I have had false complaints. This personal video camera has saved my A@@ ! It ensures I do my job.

When I write a 23 year old man a speeding ticket and he starts crying , throws a hissy fit and has a panic attack. All becuse he was doing 30 over and gets cited. Then. later files a complaint, saying I cussed him, It comed in handy.

Not to mention the Domestics I work. Yes, that night "she" had a bloody nose, busted lip and broken ribs when she spoke to me. The kids running around outside, in underwear, in 20 degree weather, empty beer cans scattered all over the house. The eight year old tells me "they do this all the time" A year later when it comes to trial and she states I made it all up. I produce the tape. It works very well for capturing "the moment"as it is.

I have no fear of a video camera.Yours or mine. That's because I don't do things I should not. But when others show their A@@ and files a false complaint. It does come in handy !!

Last edited:
one agency i used to know alot of guys with and do ride alongs with had to carry 2 recorders. it was pretty cool and one thing that i thought personally was cool was that you could hear everything in the car. instead of just chillin in the car for a domestic or something where they had to go outside of my open window range i could flip a switch and hear everything. i have no problem being recorded and always treat the conversation as such. if im saying something to an officer i dont want recorded then i probably shouldnt be saying it in the first place. \

Here's the way I see it.

I believe that average citizens, as well as law enforcement both have the right to record whatever they want - To me, the problem arises when police believe they have the right to capture events on tape while attempting to suppress a citizen's right to do the same. When used properly, dash cams can serve to protect both citizens and LEO..and when somebody does something particularly stupid, they can provide unlimited entertainment on TruTV.

On a related note, I think stationary closed-circuit traffic cameras are WRONG AS HELL.

Here's a little tip: DON'T EVER do anything, say out loud, type or text anything you can't explain or wouldn't want read out in court....Everywhere you are while in public you are on someones camera, might be across the road, someones cell phone, in the business etc. You are always on someones camera. And you would have to be very naive to believe other wise....

Although I must say every time I HAVE NEEDED a camera, like car being hit in a parking lot or something, the stores cameras never work :/

Back
Top Bottom