• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CETME gunsmith

So i got the parts from robertrtg.com, and replaced the cocking handle and block, did some more polishing of the tube, and reinstalled the original cetme furniture. It is definitely easier to charge now. Worked the stock some and it is a bit easier to remove and install now. Plan on taking it to the range next weekend.

So i changed out the charging handle, charging handle block, and put the cetme wood back on. Took to the range last weekend and it runs like a top. I think the g3 stock and recoil spring was causing the lockbacks. The handle and block did a great job of making the gun chargeable. See below for pics of the charging handle block that was removed. The bands should all be the same width, one of them was really worn causing the block angle to change and dig into the tube rather than slide.

I did run into a bad batch of ammo. I picked up some 308 from a fellow odtr. I knew it was crap but thought it would make good range ammo. In 8 rounds i had 3 failures to go 'bang' and not because the gun didnt try. Cetme doesnt do anything gently, and hitting primers is no exception. Headstamp is marked "o .308w o 79". Got about 200 rounds of this stuff. Debating on pulling the bullets and changing the primers and powder.

I fired 3 20 round mags of zqi ammo, flawlessly. Very happy with the turnout.

My thanks to all of those that contributed their thoughts and ideas.
1436921540277.jpg 1436921567713.jpg 1436921663052.jpg 1436921685833.jpg

Last edited:
Lot's of practical experience here, some with decades. I'm glad you got it running. I wonder if replacing the stock again with the one prior would effect function?

Dang that is a well worn bolt!

The buffers are different between the CETME and G3 parts. But proper bolt gap plays a role in recoil as well. I had the same troubles with the G3 furniture being tight on my cetme. But after a lot of tweaking, everything works on it. I need to change the muzzle brake on mine still. But it's a great sear host.

I'm late to this party, but it seems like the G3 recoil spring that is attached to the buttstock, is retained by a plastic washer that is a tad too big for the CETME. Grind down the washer for a better fit in the CETME. Not sure if this had anything to do with your fit problem but it may help others later.
Dan

May have been part of it. I almost changed the to tubes around but decided i like the wood better. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Back
Top Bottom