• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest 45acp plinking load wanted

Bennyboy

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
262   0
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been looking at reloading on and off for years now and have just never been able to justify the investment and didn't have the time to boot. Well, I've recently found myself with more time on my hands and also discovered the Lee Loader setup which is available for about $40 at Midway. This is cheap enough for me to test the waters and since the only round I care to reload at the moment is 45acp, I'm taking the plunge.

So my research began and the best I can tell is that reloading isn't as cheap as I thought but I'm still wanting to try it. I know it's not just about price but has other benefits as well, being therapeutic at the least. After looking at various loads and such, I've come to a few conclusions:

1: while I'd prefer to shoot 230g FMJs, 200G LSWC seem to be the cheapest and very popular. I'm finding these for about $0.12 each.
2: Federal primers run about $0.03 each and tend to be popular so I'm steering this direction. Thoughts?
3: for powder, I like the looks of Titewad as it's affordable up front, uses less per round than most, (4 grains is middle ground with the 200g LSWC and only 3 grains with a 230g). I'm not looking for the absolute most accurate or cleanest just yet, I just want to get started. Looks like this would cost me about $0.02 per round.
4: Winchester brass seems to be favored and I've have a good bit of White box I could shoot and gather but also have other brands like Monarch, PPU, etc. Can I resuse it all with worry?

So I'm looking at roughly $0.17-18 per round vs $0.30+ round (steelcase) at the store. Most of these prices are through MidwayUSA so other site suggestions are welcome. If anyone sees any flaws in my logic, please weigh in. I know buying larger bulks of everything is cheaper and I'll go that way if I fall in love with this but I'm wanting a small investment now in case I hate it. And finally, despite sounding like a cheapskate, my overall goal isn't to save money, just to be able to shoot more.

I wont load cast bullets anymore, too smoky and residue. Dont much care for plated either frankly.
Used to load everything I shoot except shotgun but anymore Im only doing the expensive stuff.

Missouri Bullet 230 gr COATED bullets. Top quality, cheap, no leading and no smoke.

Very inexpensive and loaded to GI Ball speed, same ballistics as FMJ.

I prefer Unique or Bullseye as those are the traditional powders for this round.

If you are using range brass...your bullet is your biggest expense....... I am currently running a new reloading series on my YouTube channel for the Non Reloader/New reloader. This series may help answer some questions you may have......

I use Missouri Bullet Co.'s Bullseye #1 200 gr SWC @ about 8 ¢ each (with a 6% club discount) over 3.2 grains of Win 231. CCI primers I get for about 2.5 ¢ each. I load about 1,000 rounds an hour on a 1050. I like being able to control the components and it's damned near impossible to find mid range target loads commercially produced. I figure about $12.00 per hundred and that's cheaper than just about any factory ammunition you can buy anywhere. The brass lasts forever if cared for. I have more than twenty firings on some lots.

All the time in the world and that $40 Lee press is going to drive you nuts.

If you are only loading 45, just do an initial investment in a progressive press.

1. Size and decap
2. Prime
3. Expander
4. Powder charge
5. Bullet seating
6. Crimp

100rds
Single stage press = 400 pulls on the handle and resetting the dies in the press for each step(unless you have quick release) and powder is measured for each round(8ish grains)

Progressive press = 105 pulls on the handle, dies are set and forget(unless you change the projectile)
Powder

I was doing the single stage for a while and still do on certain calibers. Magnums and precision loads.

In my opinion, reloading facilitates 2 things. Saving money and more range time. If you're only doing 45, there is plenty of money to save, however you will lose range time using a single stage press.

Have used a single stage press for 35 years, also had a progressive for a while. Dumped the progressive, still use the single stage.

Like I said on another thread, since I totally quit watching TV, I have plenty of time.

I can more than keep up with my ammo needs with a single stage.

eta: invariably, when you read of a KB with reloads, it was done on a progressive press.

Thanks everyone! Keep it coming, I'm trying to look stuff up as each person brings a new point of view. Some questions so far:

1) The Missouri Bullet Company is a good bit cheaper than Midway, so that's good news. I'm looking directly at the "Softball!" and "Softball!-Hitek". Is the coating worth the extra? I shoot oustide so ventilation isn't a problem. Is lead really as aggravating as some suggest? This was my main reason with wanting FMJs originally.

2. I'm looking on Hodgdon Reloading Online and they don't list Unique, Bullseye, or Reddit unless they go by another name there.

3. Tusker6N- I agree on the press but this is just to experiment with reloading as I have zero experience. I'll definitely upgrade if it's something I like. Initially, I'm looking for ONE load with cheap in mind. If it'll go bang, print on paper at 25yards, and not hurt me or my gun, it's a winner.

Back
Top Bottom