• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest 45acp plinking load wanted

Normally depending on bullet size and harness of bullet, if you stay below 1100-1000 fps your good to go. Some Leading occurs when gas blows by the bullet, that's what it's good to slug you barrel to see what size you need. Mostly .452-.453 are good.
I shoot .356 out of my 9mm, barrel slugs out at .355 last I checked.
I'll shoot a couple of hundred and pull the barrel and check for leading. Just bring a cleaning rod with bore brush wrapped in some choreboy 100% copper scrubbing strings. There in the soap department of Walmart. Several swipes up and down shoot a little Rem oil in the bore swab out and drive on.
Hope this helps

I normally just purchase instead of casting. But you are correct from what I have been told you can squeeze more fps out of you load, but why? It not sure about gas checks never went down that road. I think I would just switch over to jacketed and increase my powder charge.
Just my thoughts

Fitment is key when dealing with cast bullets. I would start low to middle for velocity and see how it goes from there. I keep my loads on the middle to low side. Less powder burned, less chance of leading and they tend to be more accurate as well.

After 8 pages of replies I'm sure you have seen many opinions. I have both single stage and progressive presses. We travel often in a RV and I take my single stage and components with me often. I do batch work and find it enjoyable and relaxing.
As for the 45acp load, I find paper punching with 180grn Berry's and Clays to produce a load that is enjoyable to shoot and easy on me and my guns.
Good luck with your new hobby. Reloading can be addictive.

Back
Top Bottom